❧25

Eye of the Storm

"Jimin, turn this car around."

"No." The older gripped the steering wheel tighter and Taehyung's jaw clenched, eyes narrowing as the familiar diversion from the main road caused gravel to crunch under the convertible's tires.

"Jimin, I'm serious."

"So am I."

"Why are we even going to the cliffside?" He demanded, voice anything but sweet in hopes of getting through to his best friend and turning back in the direction of their home.

Jimin didn't respond, instead pressing on the gas a bit more firmly and causing the car to speed up in its approach to the winds building up to the cliff.

The wipers were sprinting back and forth against the glass, the echo of sound erupting throughout his head. Taehyung stared ahead with great distaste, muttering curses under his breath as Jimin remained in control of their journey.

"Are you really going to ignore me?" He asked the older. "I asked you a very good question. Namjoon and Yoongi wanted to know where he was and we have an idea, so why not just tell them and they can go—"

The car swerved and Taehyung nearly screamed as Jimin slammed on the brakes, pulling the convertible over to the shoulder.

"Jimin, what the hell?!" He exclaimed, grasping the arm rests of his seat with exasperation etched on his face. "Why are you trying to get us killed—"

"Shut up!" Jimin snapped, Taehyung's lips clamping shut as the older's voice raised. "Goddamnit, you listen to me now, okay?"

He couldn't find any words as his heart still raced watching Jimin put the car in park to face him.

"You're really pissing me off, Tae. You're better than this petty shit and I refuse to let you be so ignorant to someone who's clearly hurting inside." Jimin pinched his lids shut and took a deep breath, turning back to stare straight forward. The words stung and Taehyung hoped Jimin was exaggerating. "Jeongguk knows the truth. Whatever the hell that means, but I figured you would understand."

"He... what?"

"Namjoon said," Jimin sighed, eyes fixated on the roof of the car, "that their argument this morning was about Jeongguk finding out the truth about Yoongi's lie. Taehyung, I'm really clueless on all of this, but it doesn't take a genius to know that he feels more hurt now than ever."

"So, what am I supposed to do?"

Jimin's head lolled over to look at him. His brows furrowed, lips pursing, incredulously. "This has everything to do with you."

"Not... not really."

"Don't lie to me, for fuck's sake." His best friend muttered, making his skin crawl. "Fine, don't tell me. Just answer this question."

"No."

"What?"

"No." He repeated, challenging Jimin's gaping expression. "You're going to answer my damn question."

"What the fuck—"

"Why are you so after me to mend things? I've done all I can and it's up to Jeongguk now, but you don't give it a rest. What makes you like him so much after all this— I hate him for what he said and I don't understand what you're thinking, Jimin!"

His friend's gaze softened, threatened position relaxing until he was shrugging his shoulder and tracing the wheel's thread absentmindedly.

"The way you talk about him, Tae. Not when you talk about what he's done, but when you talk about him. Never in all my years of knowing you have you ever talked about someone like you do him. Not even Mark and he's the only one that came close."