❧19

Confrontation and Movie Nights

"Minie's too good!" Jin exclaimed, backtracking to the shallow water and cheering over his shoulder. "He's trying to perfect his frontside air."

"It's literally already perfect." Taehyung scoffed in disbelief, shielding the flash of sun in his eyes as Jin thumped down in the water beside him. "Your carves look great, Hyung."

"I never time it right." Jin whined, unstrapping the Velcro from his ankle and letting his board float freely on the calmer water before him. "Hit the lip too late and make it rocky in whitewash."

"Hobi Hyung's timing is the best, haven't picked that up from him yet?" Taehyung laughed, earning a slap on the arm from his older brother. "I don't think it's too far off, though. You get closer to hitting the calmest part of the lip every time."

"Thanks, Tae." Jin stretched out his legs, water washing up his chest and Taehyung leaned forward to rest his forearms on his board. He'd been sitting at the water all morning to watch them surf, something about Jimin wanting to show him how much better he'd gotten and everyone proceeding to force him up and watch.

"No problem." He whispered back, frowning as Jimin shifted his weight from the back to front too quickly and caused the back to tip up from the wave, loosing the dig of the fin.

"Yikes, maybe it's not so perfect." His brother thought aloud, both of them snickering when Jimin surfaced from the failed run. "You alright?"

"Yeah, why? Need me to get you something?" Taehyung's eyes lingered on Hoseok's silly antics practicing a superman maneuver.

"No," Jin snorted. "I'd just order you around if I did." Taehyung grinned knowingly. He willingly gave up his mornings to get his friends what the needed— be it drinkable water or a quick snack— during their morning surfs. He figured it was a good idea to put himself to some use.

"I'm great. It's nice watching you guys." He leaned back abruptly when a high tide splashed over his board. "The tricks are fun to see. Makes me want to get in."

"You will." Jin assured. "I know you're working hard with the water. You'll get there, Tae."

Taehyung nodded, a genuine smile on his face when it seemed closer than he could believe. The curvature of his lips promptly softened into something indifferent. "Hyung? Did Hobi act strange last night?"

"Did he act strange? What do you mean? I know he was quieter all day after the lunch incident, but I feel like that was a given." Jin gestured towards their surfing friends. "He seems fine now."

Taehyung knew that couldn't be the case. It wasn't possible. Hoseok had stayed up waiting for him and had said they'd talk the next day. It was currently the next day and waiting for a random point to resolve the issue with the dancer was borderline nerve wracking.

He'd never been so worried to talk to one of his closest friends before.

Taehyung shrugged. "I guess so. I haven't been able to talk to him much since then. I feel bad because I know he wasn't angry— you told me he felt guilty afterwards."

"He did. He said it wasn't right for him to be exhibit anger like that without reason." Jin recalled. "It's alright, though. He's not mad at you, Tae. I mean— unless you hid his sprite stash, then maybe."

"I would never." He chuckled, rolling his eyes in strained amusement. Taehyung saw Hoseok land the Superman, finding a steady placement on the board to dig the rail into the face of the wave and curve into the crash. "You should get back to surfing, the chart read low tide starting an hour out from now."