Pleasantries

Hermione was meeting with Tom to buy their things for school. Her parents were all too thrilled to be relieved of the burden of going shopping with her. They gave her the money she would need and practically pushed her out of the door. She decided to take the Knight Bus again. It was always an interesting experience.

She arrived outside of The Leaky Cauldron and thanked the driver before she departed the huge purple bus. She walked into the pub and smiled, Tom was sitting at a table towards the back. She walked up to the table and frowned when she saw Harry Potter sitting there talking away.

Tom looked up, "Hermione, you made it. I don't know why you didn't just use the floo." He scooted over and she sat next to him.

"My parents were home and they complain when I do anything out of the ordinary. It wasn't worth having a row." She said, still not taking her eyes off of Potter.

He set the book he had been reading aside and looked at her. She was obviously not happy that Potter was here, but she wasn't rude enough to say it. Tom held back his amusement at the situation.

"Are you two ready to go?" Tom asked.

"Yes." Potter said, pushing his glasses up his face.

Hermione nodded.

"I need to go put this book up, Hermione, will you walk with me?" He asked.

She finally looked at him. "Yes, let's go." she stood from the table and hurried to the stairs.

Tom looked at Potter and smiled. "Meet us at Gringotts." He told the boy.

Tom walked over and led her up the stairs. The stopped in front of his door and he unwarded and unlocked it. He stepped inside and waited for her to follow. Once she was clear of the door he closed it. He put the wards back up and turned to face her.

"Hermione, you have to play nice." He scolded her as he set the book aside.

"No."

"Why, not?" he asked, curious to know her answer.

"That boy had been foul to me since he found out I was a muggleborn witch. I do not have to play anything with him. I would just as soon curse him than shake his hand" she was angry.

Tom could feel the magic in the air, thickening as she spoke. It was exciting. He was on her in a second. He kissed her, tongue pushing into her mouth, wrestling with her own. She tugged his hair, pulling him closer.  They broke away from the kiss, for air. 

"Tom?" she said breaking the silence.

"Hmm?" He was fixing his hair back to it original state, praying his erection would calm quickly.

"Am I? Well, I mean, are we? Are we a couple? Like officially?" she felt like an idiot.

He turned from the mirror, looking at her for a long moment. He was pleased with the progression of her infatuation. He had never brought up the topic, never hinted at it, the doubt warring with her confidence. It was perfect timing as well. She would be starting the year off in a completely different mind frame. 

He realized he had been silent too long when he noticed a single tear fall from her watery eyes. He smiled at her. She smiled back.

"I apologize, Hermione, I thought that it was clear, but I was just thinking back and realized I had never actually asked. I had assumed. Would you like to be my girl?"

She let out a nervous laugh. "Tom, you are daft, yes I would."

"Brilliant, It's settled. Hermione, I want to be clear from the start. I don't allow women to touch me, besides you, I will not tolerate you letting other guys touch you. An occasional handshake is fine, but nothing more. I am very possessive. I won't lie about it."

"I don't want anyone else to touch me, Tom. The thought sickens me. It's only you." She reassured him.

He hugged her to his and kissed the top of her head. Things were working out perfectly. He released her and fixed his mussed hair. Hermione grinned as she watched him primp.

Tom turned to her, "Will you, for me, be civil. You don't have to speak to him, but try not to curse him." He asked, then after a second added "unprovoked."

She smiled, "Fine, let's go while I'm still in a pleasant mood."

The walked back down the stairs and out to the brick wall. They tapped the bricks and waited for the wall to clear. Tom took Hermione's hand in his and they walked to Gringott's together.

Hermione's good mood darkened, waiting was not only Harry Potter, but Draco Malfoy as well. She groaned aloud, causing Tom to chuckle and rub his thumb over her knuckles.

They walked up to the pair, who seemed to be arguing about the newest broom. Draco had noticed them first.

"Hermione, you look lovely today." The grin on his face was supposed to be charming, but for her looked rakish.

"Draco, thank you. You are looking very," she paused "blonde today."

Tom chucked at the statement. Draco had smiled like she'd actually complemented him. Potter stayed silent.

"Would you like me to go in with you?" Tom asked, nodding at the bank.

"I can manage, I'll be right back." She told him and entered the bank.

Tom turned back to the boys. Draco was watching Hermione walk into the doors and Potter was staring at his feet.

"Draco, I will hex you." Tom warned.

"Sorry, she just seems different." He said turning back to Tom.

"Yes, well, I'm pleased you are being nice, but keep it appropriate, she is mine." Tom said. The tight feeling in his chest eased when Draco acknowledged the fact.

"I know she is, her eyes stay locked on you. It's just, she's actually pretty funny, I like when she gets snarky, but it's all in good fun." He said laughing.

"You're awful quiet." Tom said to Potter.

"Nothing to say Tom, that's it." Harry said.

"She doesn't like you much, but she's agreed not to curse you, for now." Tom reassured him.

"Good to know." Harry said.

Hermione had finished her transaction and was headed back to Tom. She had decided to try to not be so shitty to Potter. They would never be best friends, but he was Tom's friend.

She bounced down the steps and smiled as Tom turned to look at her. His eyes following her, making her blush.

"Ready boys?" She asked taking Tom's hand again.

The four of them headed in to buy supplies. They had a pleasant afternoon, and Hermione had managed to stay civil. She was pleased with herself. They had all stayed for supper at the pub and talked of the next school year.

"I am not looking forward to any NEWT level classes. Regular ones were hard enough." Potter said.

The other three looked at him. Draco spoke up, " Well, if you studied at all you might feel different."

"Sod off, I study, but with quidditch and the after parties, well I'm usually knackered." He tried to explain. He stopped when all three sets of eyes were on him. They all laughed at the silliness of his excuses.

"Hate to bring it up, but I've got to go. Early day tomorrow." Draco said standing to leave.

"Yea I better go, too. Mums not happy with my grades and has all but grounded me until school starts back." Harry explained.

"See you later." Tom dismissed the boys. Hermione stayed quiet and just watched them leave.

"Hermione?"

"Yes, Tom?" She looked up at him.

"Did you want to stay the night?"