Decisions made

Draco sat with Hermione, watching her wring her hands and chew her lip.  She obviously needed to get it all off her chest, but wasn't sure where to start. He decided to help her out.

"I've already talked to Tom." he said.

Her eyes met his and he saw the relief shine through. Then she started talking.

"I'm not sure what to do. He said he wants me to marry him so I can take my NEWTS early." She frowned.

Sighing out loud, Draco looked at the girl. "He wants to marry you because you're brilliant, and pretty. I think he even loves you in his own weird way." Draco cringed inside, he hated these kinds of conversations.

"He does?" She asked, the disbelief plain on her face. 

"You have got to be blind not to see it. He just wants you with him, you two getting married  would probably happen anyway, he just upped the timeline, I guess." Draco hoped he was giving the right answers. Tom had his sights set on the girl. Draco was sure Tom wanted him to help her along.

Hermione was silent. When she finally looked back up at Draco, she had a small smile. "He says your father is getting things going for muggleborns. It was Tom's idea wasn't it?"

Draco smiled. "Yea, he convinced my father it would be smart to get them acclimated to this world earlier. Try to teach the muggle parents how to help a magical child. You know, with accidental magic and all that."

The silence hung in the air for a few minutes before she finally spoke again.

"I know you are Tom's friend, but I want your honest opinion. Should I do this?" Her genuine heartfelt concern had Draco take a few moments before he answered

"I think you already know the answer, or you would have flat out refused him." he said skirting a definitive answer.

She smiled. Draco was an adorable shade of pink. She was almost certain he did not like being her closest friend, if only for this reason. She strangely trusted his opinion.

"Thank you." she said.

"For what?"

"For being my best girl friend." she said, laughing at the look of horror on his face.

"Take it back, Granger. That's not funny." he  frowned.

"Are we back to surnames? You wound me, truly, Malfoy." she said still giggling. 

He stood from the stone bench and turned to leave. "Have your laugh, Hermione, Just don't spread that nasty bit of info around. I have a reputation to uphold." he said.

"Your secret's safe with me, Draco." she said still giggling at the boy.

Tom was in his room, going over a few letters he'd received from his followers. Boring updates, at least things were progressing. It was slower than he would have liked, but he was still young. He laughed at that. This entire ordeal had been so strange.

He was pulled from his thoughts when a knock sounded at his door. He stood to answer it. Draco stood there, looking slightly annoyed.

"I don't know how you deal with her sometimes." he said.

"Come in, what happened?" Tom ushered in the blonde.

"It was all going fine, we talked, I encouraged her. Then she opened her big mouth and told me I was her best 'girl friend'." The pink had rose to his cheeks again.

Tom laughed. He loved how she antagonized the poor kid. Tom's laughter died down and he smiled.

"You will continue to be her best girl friend. I like that she trusts you. Because I trust you." he said.

The words calmed Draco. It was good that Tom trusted him. Tom would rule the world one day, and Draco will be right there at his side. well, his and Hermione's side he supposed.  

"Yea, well I told her to keep that bit of rubbish to herself." he said.

"You did well Draco. I will not forget your help." Tom said, effectively dismissing the boy.

Tom grabbed the journal Hermione had charmed for them. He opened the book and started writing.

Hermione,

I realize I sprung the entire situation on you. I  know I am a bit high handed when it comes to plans. I can ensure you that I have had every intension of  a marriage between us. I would not have been wasting time courting you. I know it seems old fashioned to you, but not to me. If you do not wish to be married so soon I understand. The time away from you will be torture, but we can get through this.

Yours,

Tom

He closed the cover and waited he had no doubt she would agree now. After her talk with Draco, and the message from him, she would come around. Tom had finished his letters and was well ahead of the work schedule for this year. Hermione had done an excellent job catching him up on the few things that had changes in the last 50 years.

Hermione spent the rest of her afternoon trying to decide. She had already planned on marrying Tom. She loved him. She had for a while. That wasn't the issue. Her issue was with the assumption that she would do it so soon. Did she want to be a young bride. Was she ready for that?

No, she lied to herself, that wasn't the issue either. She would marry him tomorrow if he asked. That was the issue. He hadn't asked. He just told her it would happen. She had given him everything, gladly. But she had done it freely, as her choice.

She made her way up to her room and crawled onto her bed, she pulled the curtains closed and stared at nothing. She felt the pulse of magic under her head. She grabbed the disillusioned journal she had tucked into her pillow case.

She almost put it away with out checking it, but decided she needed to make sure it wasn't an emergency. She opened it and read the quick message from Tom. She smiled. Maybe Draco had told him why she had reservations. She smiled as she closed the journal.

She reached into her bag through the curtain and found a small pencil she kept for quick notes. She opened the book again and wrote a single word. She closed the journal and put the disillusionment charm back on it and tucked it back into her pillow.

Tom opened the journal and smiled. there was only one word and it was the one he had wanted. Yes. He traced the small letters with his finger.