Chapter 17

Kellin's POV

My leg would not stop bouncing up and down. I was planning on giving Vic a special visit for his birthday but he didn't know. I was so excited for this and I couldn't wait to see his face but the only thing holding me back from leaving was my late night class. To say it was boring was a misunderstanding, because it was far from that.

I observed my surroundings and found a couple of people whose head were resting on their hands trying to keep their eyes open but failing miserably. The teacher, who was at least in his sixties or so, was talking about this case he worked in when he graduated college and how hard it was back then because there wasn't anything that would help him as technology does nowadays.

Thankfully, he looked down at his wrist clock on time and dismissed us, probably noticing how most of us were bored out of our minds. I sighed and got up from my place, gathering my stuff in seconds and practically running out the door.

I kept my rapid pace while walking through the halls and several times I pushed somebody unintentionally but apologized right after, still rushing out of the building.

Once I got to the car, I wasted no time on speeding to our apartment, which I reached in approximately fifteen minutes. I stepped out of the car and locked it right behind me, running towards the stairs and reaching our door in no time.

Thankfully, I had been packing since yesterday afternoon, after coming back from the firm. I informed my boss about my short trip to New York, for Vic's birthday and he said there was no problem at all if I just kept working on the cases on my way there, then smiled and told me to wish Vic a happy birthday as well. He has always been a nice person.

After checking everything was in order and I had everything I needed in my bag for the next couple of days, I locked the apartment's door behind me and headed to the car again, with the airport as my destination.

About an hour later, I was bucking my seatbelt in the airplane since it was about to take off, and the only person in my mind during that nighttime trip was Vic. I had decided I would travel by night so I could surprise him by arriving the next morning. I got as comfortable as I could in the seat and placed my head against the window, wishing I could be there with him right now, but I had to to hold on for a couple more of hours and we would be reunited again. With that thought in mind, I soon drifted off to sleep.

-

I was awaken by the intercom announcing we were landing in five minutes and asking us to fasten our seatbelts. In no time we were descending the plane's stairs and I couldn't be more eager to get out of the place so I pushed a few people out of my way earning glares but I couldn't care less in that moment.

In less than five minutes I was already in a cab on my way to Vic's apartment and my leg wouldn't stop bouncing up and down, a nervous habit I've had since forever. My eyes were looking out the window, admiring the scenery. New York looked completely different in February than it did in December with its trees slowly coming back to life.

Twenty minutes later, I was stepping out the cab and standing outside the apartment complex. I looked up at Vic's window and smiled. I took a big breath and opened the door, running to the elevator, too eager to get to the apartment.

When the door finally opened, I stepped in and when I turned to pick the floor, I caught a glance from Mrs. Jhonson. I instantly gave her a small wave that she returned shocked before giving me a small sympathetic look. It made me confused but I had no time to dwell on it because the elevator doors closed right after.

My fingers were tapping against the cold surface while I looked at the changing red numbers on top of the elevator's door until they hit ten and the doors opened instantly. I ran to the apartment's door, not bothering to knock since Vic had given me a key last time I was here. I unlocked the door and was instantly met by a slightly messy living room, indicating he had been too lazy to clean up. I shrugged and placed my bag on the couch, tiptoeing to the closed door at the end of the hall.