Chapter 31

Kellin's POV

After Vic left, I just sat in middle of the living room letting his words sink in. My crying had died down somehow, but I still had so many feelings I couldn't decipher and that made me upset. I knew I still loved him with all my heart and I knew now that he was feeling the same way I did when it came to our breakup. I wanted to forgive him and take him back, really. But I knew the fact that he cheated would always be in the back of my mind and it wouldn't go away anytime soon no matter how much I tried to forget.

Groaning, I sighed and curled deeper into the couch, focusing my eyes in a random spot in front of me. I had so much thinking to do and I didn't know if I would have an answer before he went back to New York. I didn't even know how much time he would be staying here but I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that it wouldn't be for a long time.

Deciding to talk it out with someone, I decided to call Matty. I knew Vic didn't like him and I guess he had a good point. Who would like to go back to their apartment and find their ex curled up on the couch with another man? I mean, he should be thankful we weren't in the bedroom tangled in the sheets like I found him so I didn't completely understand what his deal was. He didn't even let me say Matty was my best friend and the one who kept me going when I was in a really bad place.

I reached over to the coffee table and took my phone, unlocking it and going instantly to Matty's contact. I decided to text him instead.

"Hey, so… could you come over, please? He's gone but I'm confused and I need to talk to someone."

Not even two minutes later I got a message saying he was on his way. I felt so selfish for pouring out all my problems to him when I knew he was crushing on me but I just really needed him in my life.

About half an hour later, I heard a soft knock on the door indicating he was finally here. I stood up from the couch and went to open the door, coming face to face with the ginger who had a frown etched on his face. I couldn't keep it together any longer and went to hug him, letting tears pour out of my eyes for the second time that night.

He returned the hug instantly, making us walk backwards and into the apartment, shutting the door behind him. He guided us both to the couch, where he sat down and pulled me down with him, my legs thrown across his lap while my arms clung to his neck like my life depended on it.

He didn't say anything for good fifteen minutes, rubbing circles on my back to try and soothe me and somehow that worked, making my breathing slow down and eventually my cries disappearing, being replaced with little whimpers and hiccups instead.

When I felt stable enough, I pulled away from him and retrieved my legs, folding them underneath me while I looked into his brown eyes. I smiled faintly and then looked up at the ceiling, cleaning my face from any signs of tears. When my gaze landed on him, I knew he was expectant for what I was about to say.

"He said he wants me back." I sighed, looking down at my fiddling fingers and chewing on my bottom lip. "He said I'm more important than some stupid job in New York and he'd give that up if I took him back." My voice cracked and my eyes were welling with tears again but I swallowed hard, refusing completely to let them fall. "And honestly I know how hard that must be for him because ever since we met, that has always been his dream." I smiled faintly, remembering all those late night talks we had, when we would lie down under the stars and poured our hearts out to each other, saying what we dreamt of doing with our lives and how his eyes lit up whenever he mentioned it. “But I really don’t know, Matty.” I sighed and sat properly on the couch, my legs pulled close to my chest and chin resting on top of them.

The redhead didn’t speak, it was like he was waiting for the words to sink in before he spoke and I guess I understood. It was kind of a hard position. Eventually, he turned to look at me and sighed, placing his hand on top of my knee and looked at me like the words leaving his mouth caused him pain. “I think you should give him a chance.” His gaze lowered and he bit his lip before speaking again. “I know how much it’s hurting you not being with him and I also know what he did caused you a lot of pain but I saw that look of longing the minute he walked through that door. I know you still love him and although he indeed behaved like an asshole, I can tell he loves you very much and he deserves a second chance.” I opened my mouth to speak but he put his hand up to silence me. “I know, Kels. I know it’s gonna take a hell lot of work for you guys to get through this but if your love is as strong as you say it is, this will be forgotten in no time. I can assure you that.”