Chapter 22

Vic's POV

I stopped calling Kellin. I wasn’t sure how many messages I had left him over the past couple of days, but it was definitely on the high end, nearing maybe 50, perhaps more. He wasn’t answering; he probably didn’t even listen to the voicemails so I thought it was time to give up, move on. Did I want to cut Kellin out of my life for good? Hell no, I wanted him back more than I wanted to work in the law, and that was a lot.

However, it wasn’t healthy for me to fuss and whine over someone who wouldn’t give me the time of day. I was a fighter and giving up wasn’t in my nature, yet I felt pathetic and weak clinging to some fickle flame of hope that he still had a place for me in his heart.

Maybe one day things would work out and we could at least be civil, form and maintain a friendship with each other. I didn’t know, but the one thing I was for sure of was that I needed some time to calm down, to better myself and get back on my feet. There were still a few more months left of my internship and that was my main focus at this point. Finishing with a bang and hopefully securing a job here after graduation. Staying in San Diego wasn’t even an option right now, so all of my eggs were in one basket, relying on the work I’m doing now in the prospects that I could be hired here.

I was sitting at my desk, going through a chart on my computer, clicking off the items that I had finished. Much to my surprise, everything was done. I had a few accounts that needed checking up on, but I finished those as soon as I got here this morning. And everything was mainly finances, small receipts here and there and a couple of faxes. Looking at the time, I realized I could go home soon, which was something I longed for and dreaded at the same time.

With Kellin and I no longer being together, my nights that were previously spent video chatting or talking until 2 am on the phone, were now filled with other activities that I’m not proud of and spending hours sitting on the couch watching some random show on television. It was strange going home to a cold, lonely apartment. I haven’t had to do that since before I started law school. I should get a cat. Or a pet of some kind to keep me company. Before I could start picking out names for my new fluffy critter, I heard someone cough, causing me to jump back slightly in my chair.

Tearing my gaze away from the bright lights of the monitor, I looked up over my desk, noticing Alex standing there. His arms were crossed, body leaning, propped against the flimsy panel of the cubicle that surrounded us. My eyes quickly examined his face, internally frowning at his smirk. I hated when he looked at me like that, yet I kept going back to him for some reason.

“Can I help you?” I said in a professional tone. Yes, after the events of that night, everyone found out that Kellin and I split. Then after a few rumors around the water cooler, it came out that Alex and I were, doing whatever it was that we were doing. But just because everyone knew, didn’t mean I wanted my personal business tossed around in public. It wasn’t serious by any means, but I wanted the company and Alex was intent on giving it to me.

“Come over after work,” he all but demanded. The thing about our relationship was that Alex seemed to be more dominant, just because he was a dick. Apparently when you have an attitude as poor as dirt, you automatically get a free pass to make everyone around you feel like shit. He was perfect at that.

I sighed and turned back to the machine in front of me, clicking the mouse at an obnoxious rate to create a sound other than the unbearable awkward silence that always seemed to make its way between us. When he didn’t budge, instead kept his eyes fixated on my every move, I nodded in agreement. “I’ll see what I can do.”

He grinned and picked a pen up off of my desk, fiddling with the small object in his hands before making eye contact with me again. He then proceeded to put the bottom end between his teeth, sucking on the plastic and tossing me a wink. An incredible surge of hatred flowed through me as it always did when I was with him, but I tried to push it away. Before the shit went down Alex and I actually had a decent friendship. He knew how to make me laugh and I wanted to go back to that point.