3

Kore called Ayo from time to time to ask after her welfare, her sales and other times, to just talk. He had decided to use a month with his parents before going to Lagos and he has used three weeks so he decided to visit Ayo and he told her. She agreed due to their level of familiarity and told him to come in the evening.

Around 05:30pm, he left the palace for her house and got there soon enough. When he arrived at the house, her grandma was outside and he greeted her saying,

"E ku irole ma (Good evening ma)."

"Good evening my dear. Who do you want to see?"

Kore said, trying to describe her, "Ayo. She sells fruit. She is..."

"I know her. She is my granddaughter. Take a seat over there. I will let her know she is wanted."

"Thank you ma." Kore appreciated as he took his seat where she had pointed on a bench. He watched her as she went into the house and then minutes after, Ayo came out. She said as she approached him,

"To what do I owe this visit? A whole Prince of Opomulero at my doorstep. Dansaki* o."

"Will you spare me all those innuendos and just come sit?" Kore asked as Ayo sat opposite him on a plastic chair before she replied,

"We need to give honor to whom honor is due and you Prince Korede, you deserve to be honored."

"You know by now I don't like that Prince title. It makes me look inaccessible to those that need my help and I feel like if one acknowledge it too much, it goes into one's head and that is the beginning of pride."

"In other words?"

"In other words, call me Kore. I am a human just like you."

"A human in different class and you are yet to answer my question."

"Which was?"

"To what do I owe this visit?"

"Oh! I can't decide to pay a friend of mine a visit any longer?"

"If that is it, then you can. What do we serve you to drink? We have juice..."

"Don't go there. Mum just served me a plate of fried yam which I devoured hungrily before making my way down here so I am okay."

"You are going to come to my house without taking anything?"

"If I am opportuned to come next time, I will eat the whole house."

Ayo laughed, "Okay o. When are you even leaving for the city?"

"So, you are among the people who want me to leave?"

"No jo. I was just wondering and I decided to ask."

"Okay. I will be leaving in a week's time."

"That fast?"

"I already spent three weeks. Next week makes it a month and that's my deadline. I need to go back to Lagos otherwise I would be giving my Manager extra stress."

"If you say so."

"Mummy. Mummy." Itunu called coming from the house and Ayo answered as Kore took a double look at Ayo not believing his ears,

"Yes baby. What is it?"

Itunu complained, "I can't find my homework book."

"Check my table." Ayo answered him.

"Okay Mummy." Itunu replied and as he was leaving, his mother called him back,

"Itunu, you didn't greet my guest? Do the right thing." Itunu turned back and came to stand right in front of Kore who got a better look at him,