26

Kore drove to the palace slowly and honked his horn when he got to the gate. The gate keeper came outside to check his face and recognized and immediately went back inside to open the gate wide. He drove into the compound and went into the house as he responded to the maids and guards greetings.

The sitting room was empty, he asked one of the maid to his right,

"Where are my parents?"

"They are upstairs, my prince." she said and bowed as he went upstairs to meet his parents. He knocked on the door and heard a muffled 'Come in' before twisting the doorknob and opening the door. His mother was massaging her husband's feet. Surprise etched on their faces upon seeing him and he prostrated,

"Good evening sir, ma."

"Adekorede mi, omo Adewuni." The King responded.

Olori Adenike said, "You didn't tell us you will be coming home."

"It's a surprise visit." He answered.

"Come and sit down nao and stop standing like you are in a stranger's house." Olori said.

"How are you Mum?" He asked as he took his seat facing them.

"I am very good o." Olori answered gaily.

"Can't you see I am taking good care of her?" Kabiesi asked

"I know it can't be more than your handiwork." Kore assured then he asked,

"What about Kolade and Kayo? I hope they are contacting you, because I talked to them two days ago."

"Of course. Kolade even came around last week. Something about his politics ambition he is going on about and when did Kayode call us na?" Kabiesi answered, looking at the queen for help.

"Hahan, agba ti n de*. Sebi, she called us yesterday."

"Hmm, iwo lomo o*. We are sha in contact. How are your stations doing?"

"Very fine, Dad."

"Why don't you go in to your room and freshen up, let me get you something to eat?"

"No Mum, not yet. Please sit down."

She did and then he continued, "The major reason I came home is because I brought the woman I want to marry."

"Ehhhh, Olorun e ma seun ooo*. Where is she? Go and bring her nao abi?" Olori asked looking at the King for support which he nodded,

"I wanted you to meet her tomorrow. Her name is Ayodunmomi Bankole. She is..." Kore said.

Kabiesi asked, "Is that not the girl living in your house in Lagos?"

"Yea Dad." Kore confirmed.

"Are you sure about this? I thought you said you were just lending her a helping hand." Olori reminded.

"Well, Mum, I was but I fell in love with her and we've been dating for a while now and I decided she is the woman I want to marry." Kore answered.

"But that girl, her family are not so affluent like..." Olori protested,

"Mum! Dad, please tell me how you met Mum again." Kore interrupted.

"Hey, do not pull that card." Olori warned, frowning.

"Mum, it does not matter if her family is popular and wealthy or not. It's the girl I am marrying and I don't need any popularity or wealth. I can afford to take care of myself and her and her child and that's what matters." Kore said.