1

San stared out at the sea, now knowing what was past the horizon. He stood on the deck of the ship, closing his eyes as he felt a warm breeze brush past his cheeks and smiled into the wind. He thought back to a time before the ship, before the crew he now called family and came to the startling realization that, yes it had already been a year.

It had been a year and yet, he hadn't once wished to go back, for things to return to the way they were. He jumped as he felt a hand fall on his shoulder, not having realized that someone had approached him. San turned to see Seonghwa behind him, smiling softly.

"Whatcha thinkin' about kid?" He asked as he stepped closer, now standing next the San on the deck. San just hummed and turned his face to the sea again.

"Nothing important" he hummed and Seonghwa nodded, a thoughtful look on his face.

"You know what's coming up, right?" San hummed again, still reminiscing.

"One year, right?" Seonghwa nodded, looking pleased that San had remembered.

"Yeah, Hongjoong was thinking about going to the mainland to celebrate. What do you think?" He turned to stare at San expectantly. It was times like this that made San reminisce about his family. Seonghwa reminded him so much of his mother, as weird as that sounded and Hongjoong had been more of a father to him than he had ever had in the first place. A hand appeared in front of his face, fingers snapping, startling him from his thoughts.

"Huh?" He groaned, looking to meet Seonghwa's expectant eyes.

"You good San? You seem kinda out of it" he asked worridly. San nodded and placed a reassuring hand on Seonghwa's shoulder.

"Yeah, just distracted" Seonghwa nodded, seemingly pleased with the answer.

"So...what about the celebration? You never answered me earlier" he asked again and San nodded dazed.

"Yeah, sounds good" he mumbled, waving his hand slowly. Seonghwa looked at him worridly once again but eventually turned and made his way back to Hongjoong. San turned and walked towards the storage room. He needed a distraction and reorganizing would be the perfect thing to do. He had almost made it to the room when Mingi stepped in front of him.

"Hey, why dont you come with me for a moment?" He asked, not giving San a chance to decline and grabbed his arm, dragging him to bunks.

"Who's steering?" San asked, knowing Mingi was usually the one that steered their ship.

"Hongjoong took over for a bit, I needed to talk to you" Mingi said, stopping next to his bunk and sat, gesturing for San to join him. He reluctantly sat next to Mingi and turned to face him.

"Why did you need to talk to me?" San asked, running his eyes over Mingi's face, looking for any sign as to what this was about. He aighed when he found nothing and sat back, leaning against the wall.

"I noticed that you've been distracted lately and just wanted to talk" San felt an irrational flash of anger at the words. He knew that he hadn't been at his best but this was getting old, he was tired of everyone questioning him.

"I'm fine Mingi" he stated looking the other man in the eyes.

"I just wanted to help-"

"I dont need your help. I'm fine" with that San stood and walked to the door, slamming it behind himself and finally making his way to the storage room. The others, having heard his outburst, stared worridly at his retreating figure. Minutes later Mingi stepped out of the room, eyes swollen and slightly red. Seonghwa growled, mumbling threats about 'beating that punk for making Mingi cry' and brought the other into his arms.

"I'm fine, really" Mingi mumbled, gently pushing the other away and facing the others. "He said he doesn't need my help. Why wont he let us help him?" Mingi said, looking at the other members.

"He's always been like that. Do you remember when he broke his arm two months after he met us? He wouldnt let anyone touch him and got frustrated when someone did. Thats just his personality" Hongjoong spoke solemnly, looking at the group.

"I know but I'm still worried" Mingi mumbled. The others hummed in agreement.

"I am too but we can't do anything if he wont let us. Just give him space and hope this gets better. If it doesnt before we reach the mainland then we will think of something, okay?" Hongjoong propositioned, looking around at the other members. Everyone nodded and he seemed satisfied, turning and making his way back to wheel. Slowly everyone made their way back to their places and that was that. Mingi reluctantly followed Seonghwa's tugging, staring at the storage room door as they walked further away.

"He'll be fine" Seonghwa spoke softly, as not to upset Mingi again.

"Yeah I know but I'm still worried" Mingi nodded, finally turning to walk beside Seonghwa, heading to the bunks for some well deserved rest. They made it to the door and slowly opened to door, making their way to Mingi's bunk and laying down, entangling their limbs. Within minutes, Mingi heard Seonghwa's gentle breaths and knew he was asleep. 'Please stop shutting us out San, we just wanna help' Mingi could feel himself slowly falling as well and let out a breath as the darkness of sleep welcomed him.

______________________________________

This is the first actual chapter and I wanted to put some things out there for context. In this story I changed the ages and now Wooyoung is the youngest and Mingi is older than San. The age order in this book goes like this: Seonghwa, Hongjoong, Yeosang, Yunho, Mingi, San, Jongho, and Wooyoung. Some of the members are also a few years younger. The ages are Seonghwa(22), Hongjoong(22), Yeosang(21), Yunho(20), Mingi(20), San(19), Jungho(19), Wooyoung(18). Now that this has been cleared up. I hope that you enjoyed this chapter and I hope to have another one out soon. Remember comments and constructive criticism are always welcome, have a nice day. Bye!