Chapter 2. Small Steps

...

There was a nice shady courtyard at the back of the building where Chewy could play and sleep.  Beam dropped him off first thing in the morning.  He couldn't be in better hands.  He was getting older and was much easier to deal with than he was years ago when he would bark until someone came out and paid attention to him.

The staff spoiled him terribly and were constantly giving him treats.  The pup's round belly was proof of that.  Chewy had more chewy things and toys at Beam's work than he did at home.  

He loved the trimmings from the grilled pork that he would get.  They all thought the dog was a bit weird because he liked carrots and cucumbers too.

Beam came through the back gate and greeted him.  He was just minutes from when he would start serving lunch.  He told him to be a good boy and filled his water bowl from the outdoor tap.

He had his key already in his hand,  but Cc opened the door before he could use it.  The first thing he did was give Beam a hug,  then he started to rattle on, even more breathlessly than he usually did.

"P'Beam,  look."  Cc was pulling him by the wrist and passed the girls busily chopping.  He pointed to a large paper cup from the expensive coffee shop across the street.  

The boy talked a-mile-a-minute.  

"Look,  it's for you.  It's cold by now but he...  um, that handsome man that was here yesterday..."  

Cc was so excited as he stammered out his thoughts.  "Oy,  that guy brought it here this morning when we were serving porridge.  P',  he said ten times how sorry he was and that he hoped you weren't mad.  I told him that you don't work early in the morning but he gave me the cup anyway." 

He started to produce the cutest giggle;  Cc put both palms on his red and heated cheeks.  "You won't believe it P'Beam;  he asked me if it was enough money to pay for the soup." 

Nong barely took a breath before he continued.  "You're not usually here so early for dinner service.  P'Beam,  it's a fluke that he even met you.  Oh,  he doesn't know your name and we..."  

Cc looked around the room at the ladies.  "We didn't know if you wanted him to, so I told him you were Mr Chatasitkorn."

He saw the smiles and the blushing cheeks.  Beam heard the women giggle.

The ladies weren't laughing because Cc white-lied about Beam's last name;  it was that he was shipping the stranger and Beam before they'd even met properly and neither knew the others name.  

This wasn't a first for Cc.  He'd shipped Beam with others before. 

Like the very first time Gull came to the charity to help,  he arrived right after school and before Beam.  Cc thought that Gull was sweet and cute and a good match for his wonderful boss.  He had a big introduction planned and told a sceptical Maw it would be a novel-worthy romance.