Chapter 9. A Time for Magic

...

Maw said she had things to do and that she'd called a cab.  Beam waited with her until it arrived.  

"P'Maw,  you like P'Forth,  don't you?"

Maw sat down on the edge of a concrete planter.  The little tree planted in it looked haggard and the hot days left it needing a good watering.  "I do Nong.  I really like Forth."

"And you would tell me if you thought there was anything wrong with him,  right?  Ah,  you wouldn't let me fall for a bad guy."

Beam could feel Maw's gaze go right through him.  Her eyes seemed to penetrate and probe at his heart.  "If you're asking me to help you decide if you love Forth or not,  I can't Nong.  I'm far too old to be swayed by his handsome face and charm."

Beam mulled over what she said and stuck the phone he was still holding in his hand,  into his front pocket.  

"I'll tell you what I do know about Forth though.  If you're interested."

Beam smiled.  Even the corners of his eyes curved upward.  

"Yes, P'.  I'm interested."  Beam stepped forward and was close to Maw as she spoke.

When Maw talked,  she didn't say things as if they were merely her thoughts.  She said them as fact.

"You and Forth have not yet discovered the thing that makes you most alike.  The thing you have most in common,  but you will."

"Aww,  P'Maw,  you can't say stuff like that and just leave it.  You have to tell me what you mean."

Maw teased him.  "Now you sound like Cc."

"My cab is here Nong."

Beam turned both ways and peered down the street.  Monday nights aren't busy and he could see clearly that there were no cabs in sight.

Maw reached and placed the palm of her hand in the centre of Beam's chest.  "When Forth crashed into Chatasitkorn's and met you,  he realized that he has everything and some have nothing."  She thumped her hand just once;  it made a sound that echoed in the cavity of his chest.  "Forth has a heart and he's doing something about it."

There it was,  the taxi appeared out of nowhere.  Maw stood and picked up her bag.  She waited for Beam to open the door. 

Maw rolled down the window and peeked at her watch.  "You should go now Nong."  She pointed across the street and into the park as the cab pulled away.