Chapter 14. Henceforth and Hereafter.

...

Cheap crammed one more shrimp into his mouth and twisted Guzel around by the shoulders.  He pushed on her back until they were out from behind the buffet table.  

"Hurry,  we need to get to the foyer.  That step-son of yours has got a lot of balls showing up here."

"Why?  What's happening?"

"I just told you.  Beam is here."  

Guzel stared at Cheap.  Her eyes were utterly vacuous.

Cheap punched her upper arm.  "Is that hairdo too tight?  Your stepson,  Beam and his boyfriend Forth Kreepolrerk,  remember?"

Cheap was starting to think that someone had done something to Guzel.  She always had a short attention span but tonight,  she was more clueless than ever.

His punch spurred some thought in the woman's vacated head.  She barked at him:  "Fuck off,  I thought you said we had to wait until midnight."

"I did,  but I have an idea."

Cheap shoved her again.  "Go,  I'll follow you."

...

The main entrance floor was crowded when Lowen arrived,  it was positively sardined when Beam walked up the steps.

Bonnie started to smile before Beam was even halfway.  This young man was exactly what she expected her son Forth would like.  Forth had always had good taste.  That taste markedly showed itself in his penchant for handsome faces.

She turned her head from Beam and put her attention on Grempe.  He was holding her hand but his grip loosened and became limp.  His lips had been closed but now he parted them so he could breathe more easily.   Grempe turned his head and connected with Bonni's eyes.  His were glossy and moist.  He whispered:  "Oh god Bonni,  he looks so much like his mother."