Chapter 6. Unforeseen Changes.

...

Late Friday Night

...Late Friday Night...

By the time Forth walked up the hill,  he was sweaty.  He planned on going straight to his shower and then to bed.  He was startled to see that the house was fully lit and there were two vans parked in the driveway.

His parents would normally be in bed this time of night,  but they were both up and busy directing the workmen that were hired to dismantle the large dining room table, and the conference table too.  They were moving all the chairs into the vans and storing them until after the party.

Bonni moved in for a hug,  but Forth held her back.  "I'm gross mom.  I need a shower."

She didn't care.  Forth got squished anyway.

Her son looked ruffled and flushed.  Bonni finished her hug and stepped back.   She looked more clearly at his face.

"No car again?  You must have walked Beam home."

Forth didn't need to add to his mother's deduction.  His smile told her everything.  He removed his jacket. He pulled on it left and right and loosened his tie. 

"Why are you guys doing this so soon?  The party isn't for another week."

Bonnie explained that the boardroom was going to be set up with small tables for eating and cocktails, and the dining room would be used for dancing.  "We have to start now sweetie.  I have to get the florist in to see what kind of arrangements I need, and the caterer needs to plan where to set up the buffet."

She took his hand and pulled him into the living room.  "We're going to have a jazzy quartet set up in here and a DJ outside by the pool."  

She patted the top of his hand.  "You can hire someone if you want your own music.  Your dad said that you can use your suite upstairs for your university friends and the younger people from the office."

Bonni was now walking him to the foot of the stairs.  "I'm having someone come in and do a thorough cleaning on the Thursday before.  Make sure anything you don't want to be seen is put away in your bedroom.  They're going to clean the windows, the floors and your bathroom."  

Forth started up the stairs.

"Are you hungry?"

"Yes, a bit."

"Have your shower, I'll get something ready for you."

He came back down the four steps he'd climbed, Forth kissed his mom's cheek before he jogged to his room.

...

There was a long rectangular breakfast bar in the kitchen.  It had tall stools and faced the galley.  

Forth looked fresher with his damp hair and a thin t-shirt.  He sat down.  "That smells really good mom.  What is it?"

Bonni set the bowl of spicy shrimp, Tom Yum soup in front of him, and then pulled a spoon from the drawer.