Chapter 11. Formidable Forces

...

His tie was in the pocket of his open linen jacket.  Forth had undone the top three pearl buttons of his royal morado shirt.  He was comfortable,  relaxed and happy in Beam's presence.  He felt a bond growing with every minute they spent together.  Forth was sure Beam felt it too.

He took the big cardboard box out of his trunk and set it on the roof of the car.   Forth recognized the store's name emblazoned across the top.

"Don't do that P',  you might scratch the paint."  Beam reached for it.

"The car is fine Nong."  

Forth put his hand on top of the box and tapped it.  He smiled and looked in a circle.  It was only their two voices to disturb the quiet neighbourhood.

"What's in here Nong?"

"Just a little something I picked up.  I needed a suit and I bought one."  Beam's teasing side was showing.

Forth took a step closer and looked down into Beam's upturned eyes.  "Did you buy this so that you would look nice for me?"

Beam smacked his hand flat on Forth's chest.  "The newspaper people are going to think something is wrong with me,  I've never worn a suit before on the kitchen's anniversary."

Forth shuffled his feet and got closer.  "Hmm, that's a round-a-bout way of saying yes."

Their chests were touching now.  Forth couldn't move again and make himself nearer.  He looked behind Beam and saw a light through a thick veil of branches and leaves.

"Someone is still awake at your house Nong."

Beam didn't bother to turn and see.  "Gull is the only one in that house that keeps regular hours.  It's probably Kork,  he comes and goes as he pleases."

"Um,  P'Forth,  you're awfully close just for small talk about my brothers."

Earlier,  Forth picked Beam up on the street in front of the kitchen.  He said goodnight to Maw,  Cc and the girls.  They all confirmed that they'd see him tomorrow at both parties.

Forth had taken the long way home tonight.  He ventured outside the neighbourhood and took the busiest streets because the traffic would extend the trip.  He touched Beam's hand at a stoplight.  

"If I keep you out until midnight,  I can be the first person to wish you happy birthday."

Forth pulled his phone from his pocket and looked at the time.  He had just two minutes to say what he wanted and it would be midnight.