Chapter 10. Aforementioned Magic

...

Sweet and Bunnag had a policy.  'No phones in the bedroom at night.' 

So,  when both started ringing at five-thirty Tuesday morning,  they didn't hear them.

Jay did,  and only a minute after answering,  he knocked quietly and apprehensively on their bedroom door.

"Come in Nong."

Bunnag turned over and switched on the bedside table light.  He adjusted the sheet to be sure he was covered and save his live-in employee any unfortunate peeks at his state, au naturel.  

Sweet was on his side and facing the wall.  Bunnag rubbed his bare back.  "P'...  P'Sweet,  wake up."

Jay did not make a habit of knocking on their door in the night.  Bunnag was sure it was either an emergency with Jay himself, or, that the building was on fire.

"What is it Nong'Jay?  Are you ill?"

Jay walked to the end of the bed and handed each of them their lit and already answered phones.  "It's Grandma,  she insisted that I wake you."

The lovers stared at each other and then each held the phone to an ear.

"Mom,  how are you calling both phones at once?"

Maw sounded perturbed.  "Don't be nuts.  I'm a fairy.  And son, I thought you said you didn't use too much when you zapped Forth."

"I didn't mom...  really,  it was barely anything...  I,..."

Maw cut him off.

"It did more than just stiffen his resolve.  The boy has been making wishes and there was enough to make it happen.  Tell me Doctor,  how come you don't know this?"

Maw took a big breath in,  she had more to say.

"I've been thinking.  The tear,  what kind of tear was it?  Why was Forth crying?"

Sweet combed his free hand through his messed up hair.  He looked at Bunnag for support.  

"I can barely remember mom.  You just woke me up and my head isn't clear.  I know it couldn't have been enough to make huge wishes come true.  Maybe something nice for dinner,  or a new pair of shoes, but not much more than that."

"That would depend on the tear.  Grempe is seeing the world through Forth's eyes right now;  at this very minute."  

Maw rebuked him again:  "That will last until midnight you know.  The man is going to be like this all day.  You need to find an excuse to visit his office and take it back.  Fix it."

"But mom,  it can't be that bad.  It's not going to hurt him."

His mother called him Sweet,  which meant that he was in trouble.  "I suggest you think long and hard on that tear.  We need to know what it was filled with."