Chapter Sixteen

The rest of the school week drags out for everyone. By Friday their names are staining almost everyone's lips, and at their gig, it seemed like half of the school is there. People packed the usually quiet shack all the way out of the doors. They had never seen so much attention, not even by the regulars that come on a daily basis. While it was annoying to all of them how much people stared and whispered, it felt amazing to be the talk, especially knowing it only benefited them in the end.

While the guys handled the attention like champs, minus Hale who had snapped at everyone who even walked too close to him, Bella struggled to keep a brave face. She thought that maybe it would die down after a day or so, like any other rumor. But it hasn't. The only thing keeping her going was the date Hale scheduled for them on Saturday.

"I'm leaving at three for my date." Bella informs her parents at breakfast.

Her dad narrows his eyes, "Remember what I taught you?"

Bella rolls her eyes, "Dad, seriously."

"Don't 'dad' me, little girl. I don't like you going out with boys." He grumpily bites into his toast, frowning. He's never wanted her going out with anyone, especially after what happened with Austin being behind his back.

Bella raises an eyebrow, pushing off all the anxiety if her last relationship. "Would you rather I go out with girls?"

"Yes." He answers almost too quickly. Before she gets to chance to ask why, he adds. "Girls can't give ya the ole 'I just wanna see what it feels like' stick n' poke. That's how Jason got here."

Jason, who had been ignoring the conversation, having already threatened to knock Hale's teeth in if he hurt Bella, without her knowledge, looks up. "You guys told me I was a 'happy accident'."

Bella chokes on her orange juice, her laughter a mixture of coughing and wheezing. Their dad turns to him with a deadpan look, "You were the result of horny experimentation."

"And what was Bella?" Jason asks defensively, dropping his spoon in his cereal bowl.

"Tequila and an argument over a thumb tack." Their dad admits, biting into his toast again. He shrugs, completely unbothered by the unsentimental vibe of the conversation.

Jason smirks, shooting Bella an evil look. "That's probably why she's so spiteful."

"Suck on an egg, Jason." Bella bites, flinging a potato from her plate at him. It hits him on the cheek and falls to the ground limply.

"You only proved my point, dipshit." He grumbles. Bella purses her lips and looks at her dad, more so for confirmation that she would get in trouble if she were to stab him with a fork.

"He's got a point, Bells." Her dad agrees, a smug grin raising the corners of his lips.

Bella rolls her eyes as everyone falls silent, their lack of common interests taking it's seat at the table. Bella some times wonders what it must feel like to be her parents. Neither of them have anything in common with their kids other than looks and blood. It must suck, not having a personal relationship with their kids.

But Bella knows they try and one thing they all agree on is their sarcasm and smart ass remarks. Bella's whole family seems to have an arsenal of insults and smart remarks to use on each other for any situation. A fact she takes pride in because it makes the rare conversations with them interesting.

👶

"Thanks man." Hale bro hugs Omar, helping him with his bags. Omar smiles, but this time it doesn't reach his eyes. Just like his smiles haven't this whole time.