Chapter Eight

Ugh. What the hell. My jaw is so sore. Opening my eyes, I walk over to the mirror looking at my mouth, opening and closing it. It looks a little swollen on the left side but I can't see anything seriously wrong with it.

"MUM!" I yell, still looking at myself in the mirror.

"What?" she says, stepping into my room.

"Can you look in my mouth please, it hurts," I whine.

She pulls out her phone and turns on the light. I open my mouth and she has a look.

"Yep. One of your teeth has a crack in it," she says turning the torch off.

"How did that happen overnight?" I question seriously confused.

"I don't know but you better make an appointment at the dentist," she says walking back out of my room to finish getting ready for work.

Grumpily, I grab my phone off of my bedside table and google the local dentist's number. Hitting the call button, I wait for an answer.

"Welcome to Dentist Time. This is Anne speaking, how can I help you?" a voice chirped through the phone.

"Hi, I was just wondering if you have any appointments free today?" I reply with a hopeful tone.

"Let me just check. No, it doesn't look, oh wait a second, we've had a cancellation for later on this evening if your happy to come by then?"

"What time is that at sorry?"

"5 p.m."

"Ah, yeah that will be fine," I say, giving her my details so she can book me in.

"Alright Ava, we'll see you at 5 p.m."

"See you then," I say before hanging up the phone. I go grab some Panadol knowing it won't completely take away my pain but it will at least ease it a little bit.

Looking at the time, I see I still have hours before I have to go so I decide to go downstairs and do some cooking, hopefully that will help me to keep my mind off of my toothache. Looking through the pantry, I decided that it's just going to be cupcakes that I make. Turning on the stereo and pairing my phone with it, I put my music on shuffle and begin dancing.

As I am at the best of times a mediocre cook and my dance moves are on a whole other level of bad, combing the two wasn't really the smartest choice I could have made however I was having a whole lot of fun while doing it.

At least I'm getting my exercise in, especially before I eat all of these cupcakes. I've got to live a balanced lifestyle you know, dance for an hour or so and then eat a dozen cupcakes. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. Well, I'll eat them after my tooth is fixed. That would probably be a wise choice. I'm part way through doing some really bad crumping when Lizzy pops into the room, followed by Grace.

"Hello my lovelies," I yell at them over the music, spreading my arms out wide.

"Hello you crazy little ball of energy," Lizzy laughs back as she goes to turn the music off. I walk over to them just as I see Grace stick her finger into the bowl with the left-over cupcake mixture in it, covering it in chocolate and sticking it in her mouth.

"Excuse me missy, I don't want you spoiling your appetite," I say pointing my finger at her.

She just sticks her finger back in the pot staring me dead in the eye as if daring me to say something again. Laughing at her, I shake my head before turning to Lizzy.

"So, what brings you two down here?" I ask.

"Well, I've come to let you know that I have found you a date for tonight," she says and I go to interrupt her but she continues talking, "I know that the last few have been a bit unsuccessful but I have personally scoured the streets and interviewed a few different guys and honestly, this guy seems like he could really be something special. So, I double checked that your reservations at Food for the People are still in place and I told him to meet you there at 6 p.m. That is the time you meet your dates usually yeah?" She questions, taking a big breath.