Chapter Thirteen

Fast forward to Jessie and Shay's wedding day.

"Are we there yet?" I say to mum again as I watch the houses slowly spread further and further apart.

"No," she says firmly and I can tell she's getting frustrated with me.

"Are we there yet?"

"Ava, no."

"Are we there yet?"

"Seriously Ava, quit it."

I sit in silence for a few seconds, keeping my lips sealed tight because I feel like I could just about breathe wrong and mum will yell at me now. Oops.

"Are we there yet?"

"How old are you? There must be some other way you can entertain yourself which does not involve pestering me."

"Oooh! I could put some music on!" I exclaim, super excited about this.

"Yes, finally a good suggestion. Music is perfect."

I know exactly what I am looking for as I scroll through my phone's music. Pressing play, I look over at mum with a look crossed between pure glee and smugness. Mum however, does not seem as impressed by my song choice. I, of course, start performing for mum as I truly believe that she is getting a once in a lifetime performance but I feel like as I'm dancing and singing to her, that this is one of those moments where she is really wishing she had of used birth control.

It's out with the old and in with the new

Goodbye clouds of grey, hello skies of blue

A dip in the pool, a trip to the spa

Endless days in my chaise

The whole world according to moi

Excuse me?

Thank you

I hear mum yell something about stop singing High School Musical and act your age but I ignore her because I am in the moment and nothing is going to distract me from putting on the best damn performance that I possibly can. I embrace my inner Sharpay and continue.

Iced tea imported from England

Lifeguards imported from Spain

Towels imported from Turkey

And Turkey imported from Maine

We're gonna relax and renew

You go do

I want fabulo-

And the music gets cut.

"Hey, I was mid performance!" I say grumpily to mum.

"No more High School Musical," she says, leaving no room for me to argue.

"Fine," I say looking through my songs. Usually I would have tried to push it a bit more because come on, it's High School Musical but I feel like I've already annoyed mum enough for one day so I'll let her win this one.

It doesn't take me long before I think of the perfect song to put on.

"Okay mum, this one is a classic," I say as I hit play.

The music starts playing and mum starts shaking her head at me but a smile plays at her lips.

"Really kid," she laughs.

I ignore her as I bop around in my seat and prepare myself to sing.

I've been around the world a couple of times, or maybe more,