Chapter 1 (Part 1 ~ ONC 1 of 1)

The question lingered in the air, the stale, hot air. Silence hit the room that was filled with students that were desperate for the professor's attention. For his praise. Like affection starved dogs, they desperately craved more.

But the question. Why did ancient civilisations make their sarcophagus's out of limestone? I smiled and raised my hand, I was the only one. The professor's eyebrow raised at me, an expression that said that I shouldn't offer an answer because I was not the one learning here.

Yes, I was an employee, not one of the salivating. I had his attention even if I didn't want it. Professor Nelson Thomas was a smart man, obviously. He was also a pain in the ass, a real thorn in my side. It was lucky that this job paid exceptionally well. Otherwise, I would have told him to stick his demands where the sun doesn't shine. I had the kind of job that a person could write home about, provided that the bad things were glazed over. They were small, but they always seemed so big, especially when we were often in hot places, usually cramped for space and everyone was just one word away from lighting the powder keg of anger.

"Yes, Miss Harrington?"

"Because they believed that a chemical in the limestone aided the decomposition of the body."

"Thank you, Miss Harrington. Does anyone know why they might have used this lovely black marble?"

He waited, getting nothing aside from seven shaking heads. It made me wonder why these students were picked over others.

"Alright then, what do you think that we will find in here, ladies and gentlemen?"

The professor looked around at the students from the university where he gave lectures on occasions. They were a select few that had been bound to an agreement that ensured the secrecy of this place.

One brave soul raised his hand, warily looking around and realising he was the only one.

"Yes, Barry, was it?"

"Brett," He murmured.

It doesn't matter, little man. He will not remember. It took him a year to remember my name and even now, I think he still forgets, and that's why he calls me by my surname.

The professor flicked his hand with a slight frown, indicating the level of his care. Zero.

"Uh, if they're like the Egyptians, the body will be mummified. Wrapped in cloth."

"Interesting choice considering we're not in Egypt, still, a good choice. The markings are not like the ones that the Egyptians used. However, we can see that there have been some efforts to convey a message on the sarcophagus and the walls. Though, it is probably where the similarities end, aside from the fact that there are a few interesting pieces that this chap was buried with. Anyone else care to have a crack?"

No one answered. Those salivating creatures could have had the entire tomb floor to themselves, offering an answer and for a moment, they'd have his undivided attention, but instead, they cowered.

"Alright then, let's find out, shall we? Miss Harrington, if you don't mind?"

Lifting the box, I handed out the thin paper masks to the students. They did almost nothing, and it was only to stop the stale air entering their lungs. There wasn't a whole lot of point to them. Opening a sarcophagus was dangerous because we didn't know what pathogens would be in there waiting to harm us. Even the tomb itself could be home to toxins that could cause serious issues.

The professor and his team have been in this structure for the better part of a month, searching through all the paths and finding a lot of exciting things. But this sarcophagus, it was everything to Nelson Thomas. This was his payday. His moment in the sun. He said that his time to stand on the world stage was almost here. All he had to do was get that sarcophagus open.