Epilogue (Part 3 ~ ONC #16)

"Do you know what today is?"

I turned to the sound of Martel's humoured voice drawing closer. He sat on the garden bench beside me, overlooking the ornamental garden. It was hard getting used to a new world. Things were different; it was a world that catered to the dominant species which was the vampires. So, the hours of darkness were longer, and it was winter for many months.

"I don't know," I murmured. "I am still getting used to how the days and nights work here."

"Would it surprise you to know that we have found another gate into your world? One that Constantino says is less obvious."

I huffed a soft laugh.

"That would be much better. So, what's today?"

"A month since your arrival. How do you find life now that you're a vampire in a new world?"

"It's interesting. Somethings are the same, like the words that we use but there are differences too. A month on Earth consists of twenty-eight to thirty-one days and a day is twenty-four hours."

"And here it is considerably longer."

I nodded.

"You're further from your version of the sun."

Which was another interesting thing that I'd learned. It was a blistering ball of heat, just like the Earth's sun but the odd thing was an extremely pale yellow. During the colder months, the sun would shine for a few hours if the clouds didn't stop it. When the warmer months emerged, the sun would be out for a little longer. But it was barely enough to warm the land. It was at the furthest point that it could be from the sun. Anything more and this place would be uninhabitable.

"So, this gate?"

"Well, I said that exposing it could lead to a whole world of pain and surprisingly, Constantino agreed with me. What did you monsters do to him?"

"Nothing." I offered. "Trust me when I say that he was fine considering it could have been a whole lot worse. He doesn't want to return because it could be dangerous."

"Yes, he said that too. Now, tell me what you're doing out here. I thought you'd be inside with Constantino."

I smiled, glancing at Martel.

"I don't have to be around him all the time, you know."

He leaned in; our shoulders bumped against each other.

"Yes, but you are the queen," He whispered. "You should be in there."

With a sigh, I stood. Martel looked up at me and offered a pained smile as he joined me.

"I know, you didn't sign up for this, right?" He said as we walked down the path. "Unfortunately, it happens when you fall in love with the wrong vampire."