Chapter 8 (Part 3 ~ ONC #2)

Hearing a thump against the front door, I woke with a very lady-like snort. I groaned and rolled over, wishing the sun wasn't so harsh. Then I remembered. I remembered it all. The death, the government, the vampire.

Gasping, I sat up and wondered when I'd gone to bed. I'd vowed to fill myself full of coffee so that I would not sleep until my house was vampire free. It was a ridiculous thing to think considering that I could not stay awake for too long, but fear filled me. I didn't want to be vulnerable around Constantino; I didn't want to fall asleep.

But I had and, I was still in one piece. Alive and hopefully all my blood was in my body. Feeling over my body, I searched for sore spots, puncture wounds, anything that might indicate he'd bitten me. I found nothing, and I was honestly surprised by it.

Hearing the door open and shut, I jumped out of bed and raced down the corridor. Did Constantino go outside? Was he burned by the sun? Did he let someone into the house? A lot of thoughts and worries filled my mind as I rushed out to see what was going on.

Constantino was walking back through the loungeroom with a newspaper in his hand. He looked up at me and offered a vague smile. Still dressed in that ridiculous looking outfit that I'd found for him last night, he acted like he didn't care.

"Dohr," He sounded out slowly.

I smiled just a little.

"Yeah, the paperboy got it wrong again. It belongs to the neighbour. I should take it back."

Reaching out for it, Constantino frowned and moved it out of my grasp.

"Reeeed."

"It's a little complex for a beginner, don't you think?"

"Luuu-ceee."

"Fine, whatever. I always like it when Harold yells at me for stealing his newspapers."

He turned the paper over so that I could see the underside. Nelson's picture was one of a few. I took it from Constantino and unfolded it, looking at the ten images of the dead.

"Sor-eee."

I looked up at Constantino and saw genuine remorse. Was it because I was sad or did he genuinely regret taking their lives?

"It's fine; I understand that you consume human blood and that death happens."

I just wish it wasn't so close to home. Gesturing to my teeth, I hoped that he understood.

"Are you hungry?"

It looked like he was mulling over the options in his mind. Tell her and freak her out or lie and go without. Was it dangerous?

Warily, he nodded.

"How long?" I asked, pointing to the clock.