Chapter 3 (Part 2 ~ ONC 2 of 5)

Nelson Thomas was a man that liked to get the day started early and with a hearty breakfast for all. He insisted that all of the staff at his digs were full because he believed that a hungry stomach equated to a distracted mind.

When I woke at five am, I expected to see the makeshift dining room on the first floor to be full of people eating and discussing the day ahead. What I was faced with was an almost empty room. A few bewildered people had huddled into one table, quietly eating their meal.

"Hey guys, is everyone in the dig already?"

"Hannah is down there with one of the tech guys."

"Roger," Meredith murmured before taking a sip.

She was ready to unleash the inner gossip. Her eyes darted around the group.

"We were taking bets, weren't we?"

Everyone started slapping money onto the counter. Meredith put her mug down and smiled.

"You're all so generous," She offered

"There is no proof they're doing it," I said. "She was talking to her boyfriend yesterday."

Meredith rolled her eyes.

"You're so sweet and innocent Lucy. Of course she was talking to him, she has to reassure him that she's being faithful."

Conner, the chef, rolled his eyes but said nothing. All of them kept their mouths shut.

"I think you're all jumping to conclusions."

"Honey, they're always around each other. They always go missing at the same time and goodness me, they even emerged from a shower cubicle together. Imagine that, conserving water in such dire times, how very green of them."

"You saw them together in the bathroom?"

Meredith nodded supremely.

"Okay, whatever. Where is everyone else in this place?"

"In sickbay."

I found it rather concerning, so I went to see what was going on. The door was shut, and a sign taped to it. Do not enter, quarantine isolation area. Knock if you exhibit the following symptoms: lethargy, nausea, headaches, shortness of breath or unusual irritability.

"Quarantine, that's very concerning," I muttered. "Dana, are you there?"

"Are you sick Lucy?"

"No, what's going on?"

"I don't know," She lamented. "But I do know that I'd rather not take the risk. The hospital is preparing for us, someone will be here in about an hour. Nelson is not happy, they're going to shut the site down until they give it the all clear."

She groaned.

"Yes, alright," Dana hissed.

"Lucy?" Nelson called out.

"You're sick too?"

"I'm afraid so. Listen, my dear, I want you to collect all my notes and the laptop before the government gets here. Stow them with your possessions and guard them with your life. When they give you the all clear, take them home with you. Oh, don't forget the marble box."

That box, the one that he looked on with so much affection. He was entrusting it to me which meant that he didn't want anyone near it.

"In my top drawer is a key to the safe. Take everything in it with you, but the most important item is the marble box. My dear, don't lose it. I will collect the items from you when everything is over. Go now before they get here."