Chapter 21 (Part 3 ~ ONC #15)

Martel had put things in the cupboard, expecting that Constantino would return and want them. It wasn't necessary considering that I'd brought clothes with us. There wasn't much though. I guess that Martel expected that Constantino would want to return to his home quickly, not sleep for a few hours.

It was necessary; I was at the end of the transformation and rest was needed. After removing the cold and soggy clothes, I bathed in a metal tub that had a wooden surround. It was rather relaxing to lean back and stretch my arms over the wood panels. I was silently grateful that they'd figured out what plumbing and hot water was.

Constantino lingered, a thin screen between us. I could see him pacing, his shadow dancing on the wall. The light of the candles and the fireplace were not bright enough to send them away entirely.

"Are you going to pace all night long? If so, can you do it in the other room?"

He stopped and sighed.

"Sorry." Constantino murmured.

The shadows moved again, and I thought that he was going to start pacing.

"Did you want to join me?"

Those shadows stopped. He said nothing.

"I know that I'm supposed to take it easy, but I don't know; it just seems like a good time to take the next step. If you're not interested,"

I heard something shift, like his damp shoe scratched over the stone floor.

"The water is warm," I cooed.

He appeared at the end of the screen, looking at me. I smiled and said nothing, just a tempting offer that was me, naked in a tub full of water. For a moment, it looked like he was thinking about something.

"I'll be back."

Then he was gone.

"And I'll be here, waiting and wondering what's gotten into you."

The door opened and closed, fast and almost like he had somewhere interesting to be. Barely a few seconds had passed before Constantino reappeared with the bottle of blood and glasses in hand.

"Is this the way that you feed here?"

"It's just one of the ways that we do it."

Setting them down onto the wooden panel, Constantino turned to start undressing. While he struggled out of the leather pants, I took the bottle and poured the drinks. He was in the water before I knew it, I turned with the cups in hand.

"To a wonderful life together."

Constantino looked at me like he didn't understand.