Chapter 17 (Part 3 ~ ONC #11)

With the belief that Stonehenge was the place that we needed, Constantino insisted that he researched everything that he could about the place. While he did that, I went through Nelson's documents and what was on his computer. Checking everything with Constantino, we made sure that we removed any references to him. He claimed that no one would ever figure out what the markings meant and if they did, it was of no consequence. Without an access portal, the gates could not be opened.

I made two piles of Nelson's notes and discoveries. One to be destroyed and the other to be sent to the university. I typed a letter that said that everything that had been found should be credited to Nelson and no one else, especially not his horrible ex-wife who would try to steal the claim now that he was deceased. I hoped that it was enough to give Nelson his moment of glory and that nothing untoward would happen. I would not be here to watch over the proceedings, so hope was all that I had. Nelson deserved it.

At two am, I yawned, and Constantino gave me a look. That look. Go to bed. Stop over analysing what's going on. Just relax. Was I overthinking the dynamics between us? Always. It seemed to be my favourite thing to do. I wanted more, but I was concerned that it was too soon. Were we rushing this because we were in an inescapable situation?

"Okay, I'm going to bed."

Packing everything back into the drawer under the kitchen cupboards, I turned off the kitchen lights, rechecked the back door and returned to the dining room. Constantino hadn't moved from his seat, but I could see his eyes darting to me every few seconds.

Taking a deep breath, I broached the subject.

"Are you tired?"

His gaze slowly lifted to mine.

"A little."

I nodded, feeling the awkward meter rising.

"Okay. You can sleep in the bed beside me; I don't mind."

"It would be ideal, that way I can keep an eye on you while you're still changing."

While he showered and got ready for bed, I rechecked the windows and made sure the front door was still locked. Nothing had changed in the hours that we'd been back, but I always slept better if I did one final round before bed.

I'd done a lot tonight to keep myself occupied. Packed the memories of those that I've lost over the years, the possessions that I wanted to take with me and the things that were getting dumped into a charity bin.

This was all based on Constantino successfully opening the gate. He didn't know if it would work and as I laid in bed and stared at the ceiling, I contemplated returning to the unit with half my things in the local charity bin and the other half in a few bags.

Constantino walked in wearing the long bed pants but not the shirt in his hand. I lifted my head and tried not to stare at the lithe frame. He was very easy to look at, strutting like he knew that he was all that and more.

"The shirt is too small."

He tossed it onto the pile of things that were going to the charity bin and then flicked off the light. Sliding in under the covers, Constantino sighed.

"You worry too much Lucy."

"I know," I whispered, turning onto my side.

Constantino did the same, close but not enough that we bumped into each other. A part of me wanted to reach out, to feel the warmth of his body against mine but I didn't because another part of me said that sleep was what I needed right now.

"The completion of your transformation is necessary."

And with that, he pulled me closer and kept me against his body as he turned onto his back. I snuggled in with my head on his chest and my hand curved over his ribs. Yep, he had them, and yes, I did go there to check.

"You will be tired, and tonight when we go out to feed, it will have to be close."

"Is that wise?"

"There is little choice. Your energy must be conserved and directed to the transformation process. In the homeworld, a selection would be brought to you, not this going out to find it."

I stared into the darkness. The street lights no longer invaded my room now that my heavy winter blanket covered the entire window.

"What's it like there?"

"Beautiful," Constantino whispered.

It sounded like he adored the place and it made me sad that he didn't want to go back. All because of some jerks who didn't like something he did.

"It is vastly different to this place, and I suppose that's why I find it intriguing as I do. The advancements that humanity has made is quite a feat."

"Do you think that your world would want some of those advancements?"

"Our world, Lucy. This is not your home anymore, and I'm sure they'd love the things that this world has but at what cost? I see things on that machine out there, things that I don't want for the land that we will live in."

"You haven't even seen all of it." I murmured. "People do things without a care for how it affects the planet. It's why I went into archaeology. The past was so much kinder to the land. No heavy pollution, no plastics floating through the ocean killing the wildlife. They killed animals, but it was for food or protection, now they do it for fun, for the prestige of having death on their walls. Every time I turn the television on, I see another reason to hate what humanity has become. The bones of the dead are easier to deal with."

"Will you miss it?"

"Some parts, yes, other parts definitely not. Besides, I don't know if I'd be able to find another professor to work with. Placements are rare and usually require a recommendation from a previous employer. I won't get that from Nelson, and once his ex-wife starts telling the world of our conversation, I'm pretty sure that the rest of them are going to avoid me."

I closed my eyes and hummed a sigh of satisfaction. Constantino's arm around me pulled me closer, the other settled on my forearm. When I felt the pressure of a kiss on the top of my head, I smiled. It was an odd way to begin a relationship, but I didn't mind at all. Easy steps towards something while I changed into this new being. It sounded like a great path for our future.