Chapter 13 (Part 3 ~ ONC #7)

Constantino and I looked at each other, the uneasiness of what was about to pass created a tension that I couldn't cope with. I knew that I'd falter, I knew that I wasn't cut out for this. He wanted the impossible from me; I wasn't someone that could watch as he took a life.

There was no choice though. He had to feed, or he would die. At least, that's what I thought would happen. Maybe his body would take over and create a monster worthy of a Hollywood horror film.

We stood at the edge of a dark street corner; the building was cold against my back even though I wore a leather jacket. Constantino shifted closer, leaning in to press his lips against my cheek.

"Sta-yeh."

The request was whispered against my lips. I nodded silently, looking up at him. He leaned in again, taking another delicate kiss, this time on my lips. With each one, I could feel the yearning grow, wanting more.

I was staying here because I think he knew that I needed to be slowly drawn in, not thrown into the deep end. There was hope growing inside of me that I could get there, but it wasn't fast enough for tonight.

When he turned to walk away, I prayed that he was okay. That trouble would not find him, that the law and the passing world could not see him. Invisible in the night, unseen by all.

I watched until he turned down another street. He'd picked his victim, and the woman wasn't far away. She'd weaved a path past us less than a minute ago, staggering a curved line over the sidewalk, stumbling into the gutter a few times.

With a huff, I tightened the jacket against my body, trying to ignore how the cold wind whipped around my bare legs. I hoped for a lot of things with Constantino's meal, and the foremost was that it was quick because I wanted to get out of the cold.

"Well hello there, lovely lady." A man crooned.

My head snapped to him as he reached the corner. He stopped a few steps short of me; I wished that he just kept walking. He tipped his head with an eager smile, not getting the hint to keep moving.

"You waiting for your friend to come back?"

He'd seen Constantino walk away. Did he believe that he wasn't returning? Checking to see if I expected his return? A dark thought entered my mind; maybe he was checking to see if I was a working girl.

They didn't usually hang out in this area, but on occasions, I'd seen one lingering with the hope of snaring a customer. I had to make sure that this guy didn't get the wrong idea about me.

"Yes," I said firmly. "He'll be back in a minute."

He chuckled, nodding and still not leaving. Not getting the hint, not sensing my stand-offish tone. Inside, I was freaking out. The alarm bells were ringing loudly. I've lived with a vampire for twenty-four hours now, and yet I was scared of this guy. He was nothing compared to Constantino.

The man stuffed his hands into the pockets of his jeans, rocking back and forth on his feet.

"Rather cold out, ain't it?"

"Sure."

"There's a great place to warm up just down the ways, send your friend a message to meet us there."

"No thanks."

"Come on," He said, grabbing my elbow. "Just a drink to warm up."

I tried to struggle out of his grip, and it only made it worse. His grip on my arm was tight.

"Let go." I hissed. "I don't want to go anywhere with you."

Grabbing my other arm, the guy dragged me down the street. His destination wasn't a pub or a restaurant; it was the dirty alley. With one swing, I was backhanded and sent into a pile of boxes. I looked up, feeling the sting of a bruise forming. It mattered little when he was unbuckling his belt.

"Don't do this; I said no."

"Do you really think I care?"

I tried to get up, but he pushed me back down. The struggle started, me desperately trying to fight him off while pleading with him to leave me alone. He determinedly tried to control me while lifting my skirt up.

His fingers scratched against my thighs as he pulled my pants down. I kicked, screamed and threw punches; it ended in his hand wrapping around my throat. Gasping for air, I could feel everything fading. The streetlight was nothing but a muted yellow that was slowly disappearing. I closed my eyes, feeling the tears slide down my temples.

After learning that vampires were real, I thought that my demise would be by their fangs. Not some sleazy pervert in a dirty alley. He wanted his kicks; did he realise that I was slowly dying?

Darkness consumed me; the thoughts disappeared.

Something jostled me, I gasped and opened my eyes. Above me was one frantic Constantino. Fear in his eyes, the suffering shown on his face. Blood stained his lips, and beside me, a man groaned.

"Luuu-ceee feee-duh."

He lifted me up, my body was limp, and I couldn't feel much. I could barely see. Constantino shifted me closer to the groaning man; I could smell blood. Coherence was sliding in and out of my mind, slipping between a blurry world and focused. When I could see, I saw my attacker with his neck ripped open.

"Luuu-ceee."

It sounded like he was begging me.

"Am I a vampire now?" I slurred, looking up at him with grogginess.

"Soon. Feee-duh."

I had no idea what was going on, what I was doing or if I was even doing it. I hoped that if I were doing it wrong, Constantino would guide me to the right path.

Warmth flooded over my lips; the liquid slid into my mouth with ease. As it fell into the pit of my stomach, I felt pain and relief, if that was possible. Maybe I wasn't coherent enough to understand the sensations.

Feeling my arm lift, I cried out when the pain of his fangs sunk deep. I tilted my head, looking at Constantino. With one hand, he reached out and lifted my top lip. Even though his fangs were in my wrist, I could see his smile. He pulled his fangs out and that infectious smile was still there.

Dragging me up, he sat back and leaned against the brick wall. He pulled me closer, when I realised what he wanted, I dragged my pants back up. They weren't too far down, and I was very grateful that the pervert hadn't gotten any further than the top of my thighs.

Straddling Constantino's lap, I leaned in and bit his neck. I drank like I was dehydrated. I kept going until I heard my name. Sitting back, I looked at the smiling man and felt a little woozy. There was blood everywhere. His mouth, neck, chest, the shirt, his hands. Constantino reached his bloodied hand out to me, gently tracing his fingers over the curve of my jaw.

"Vampire," He whispered.

"Your language skills are getting better."

Constantino shook his head.

"My language."

"Your language?" I said, a little astonished. "I can understand you now? That does not make any sense."

He looked at me, gently tugging on my shirt. Hoping that a little cheekiness would make things change. Things had changed though; I was not the woman that I was earlier tonight.

Leaning down, I kissed him slowly, easing into this new world.