Chapter Seven

Ravenpaw watched in absolute horror as his sister's white and silver frame was thrown through the air and smashed with a heavy thump! against the side of an oak tree. His claws dug into tree branch of the tree he was in, desperately wanting to leap down to his sister's aid as the enormous dog moved towards her. Next to him, Jaypaw flexed his muscles and leaped form the tree, not even bothering to climb down.

He raced for the dog, yowling a curse, but it didn't distract the dog--it was still going for Blossompaw, who could barely even move her head. Ravenpaw saw her open her eyes, and was horrified by the glossy stare in her gaze. Then, a shape flew from the bushes, a flash of gray and white. It landed in front of the dog and lashed out with sharp claws. Ravenpaw thought it was his brother, but Jaypaw was still racing across the clearing...

Then, it hit him with a shock. Boulderclaw! He thanked StarClan for his father's great sense of danger and prayed for their safety, as he had already done quite a few times since the dog appeared. The dog jumped back as Boulderclaw caught it's eye, splattering blood everywhere. He growled and hissed and puffed his fur to make him look twice his size.

The dog snapped at him, but Boulderclaw didn't flinch, instead he scratched the monster's nose. When it drew back, Boulderclaw leaped at it, teeth flashing. Just as Blossompaw had done, Boulderclaw attached himself to its face, his claws digging deep into the skin right around the dog's eyes. It cried and screeched and threw its body, trying to get the warrior off, but he was trained by countless moons and held on tight.

"Don't you dare attack my kits!" Boulderclaw was yowling as he bit deep into the dog's ear, and it collapsed, rolling onto its back to free itself, and the tom finally jumped away. Not wasting any time, the dog turned and fled, blindly running through the bushes and whimpering for its Twoleg.

Ravenpaw struggled down the tree and raced to his sister's side, where Boulderclaw and Jaypaw were already trying to tend to her. Boulderclaw saw his smallest son approaching, and nudged Jaypaw out of the way, much to the young tom's displeasure.

Ravenpaw crouched by Blososmpaw, watching her for movement. Yes! Her side was slowly moving up and down, though it was with sharp breaths. A light trail of blood came from her pale muzzle, and her eyes were closed. He nudged her cheek, and she groaned, though she didn't open her eyes. He pushed her again, needing to see her gaze up close, and she finally opened them slightly.

He was terrified by the pale, bloodshot look in her gaze. Her eyes loosely tracked his. "I... I can't see..." she whispered.

"Completely? Or is it just blurry?" Ravenpaw rushed. Blossompaw blinked, seemingly surprised by the questions. She didn't seem like herself.

"Blu...blurry..." Blossompaw's eyes went weak and she leaned her head back. But her sides were still moving, showing she was alive.

Ravenpaw forced himself out of his shock, knowing it was no time to get scared. "Boulderclaw, go back to camp and get Mossrain. Bring the strongest warriors in camp and get back here quick." It almost felt natural to be ordering around the senior warrior, a very different feeling than what he felt when he first started healing.

Boulderclaw thundered away on quick but quiet paws, and Ravenpaw leaned his ear down to his sister's chest, listening to her rough, ragged breathing. "Jaypaw, go to the river over there and grab those plants." He flicked his tail to the small supply of coltsfoot growing by the water's edge. "Bring it back to me then soak a ball of moss."

Jaypaw looked hesitant about leaving his sister, then realized he needed to trust Ravenpaw and raced for the small stream. Ravenpaw leaned over his sister and sniffed at her back where she had slammed against the tree. He touched her spine with the gentlest touch he could, and she cried out in pain, her body curling in agony, which made her yowl in pain even more.