Chapter Ten

Jaypaw was breathing heavy in the commotion of the Clan getting ready for battle. Acornstar had announced after her speech that they would attack right away, and possibly even drag the battle on for days until they left.

Eagleclaw was putting cats into different groups for the attack. "Pebblepeak, I want you to take Frostfall and Willowpaw hunting--the injured cats will need the strength. Thorntail, you will take Flamepaw and Firepaw looking for moss for Mossrain."

The two patrols nodded and headed out. Thorntail looked mad he wasn't going to be fighting yet and was setting out on an apprentice's job, but he set out anyways with the two apprentices.

"Silverstrike, you'll lead the second battle patrol," Eagleclaw meowed when the two patrols left. "I want you to take Snowfern, Featherpaw, Stonecoat, and Shadefur."

The silver tom nodded and flicked his tail for the named cats to come to him, and they gathered together.

Eagleclaw nodded to them. "Oakcloud, you will lead Grayblaze, Brightpaw, and Russetdawn in the third patrol. I will lead the first with Boulderclaw, Foxpounce, Maskdapple, Petalpaw, and Jaypaw--Foxpounce, is your apprentice ready to fight in this battle?"

Jaypaw looked at his mentor in excitement, tail rising, and the ginger tabby stared at him for a long moment with his yellow gaze, before finally looking at his deputy and meowing, "yes, I believe he is."

Eagleclaw nodded in pride. "Good. Mossrain, when the patrols return, tell them to stay here and guard the camp," the she-cat added over to the medicine cat at the entrance to his den. He nodded, his tail flicking over Ravenpaw's back, and Jaypaw could see the fear in his brother's eyes as they locked gazes.

As the Clan rose to get ready to leave, Jaypaw raced over to his brother and went to touch noses with him, but he flinched away. Jaypaw was sad for a moment, but then Ravenpaw pressed his cheek and muzzle against his face. "Good luck. Please be safe," Ravenpaw whispered, "I don't want you hurt, too."

Jaypaw pulled back with a sad expression in his eyes. "I promise I'll be okay. Foxpounce will watch my back." He looked back at his mentor, and he saw the ginger tabby nod, then he turned back to his brother. "Take care of Blossompaw--let her know we're doing this for her. So no cat will ever be injured like that again by one of these dogs."

Ravenpaw's eyes gleamed with sadness. "You can tell her yourself when you get back."

Jaypaw rested his muzzle in his brother's neck for a moment, but when Foxpounce called for him, he forced himself away and hurried for his patrol's side. He was glad he was in the same patrol as Boulderclaw, so he was able to move close to the large cat's side and hide in his thick fur.

Boulderclaw's tongue rasped over his ear. "Just stay close to me or Foxpounce." The young tom nodded and moved a little closer to his experienced father. The groups began heading for the forest entrance of the camp, but a call behind them made them stop.

Acornstar was standing on her rock, looking proud, though there was something hidden in her eyes. "Good luck, warriors. Fight strong, and fight safe. EchoClan shall celebrate their victory when you return."

She seemed very sure of her warriors, and it inspired confidence in Jaypaw. He followed his mentor with his muscles tensed, though he looked out at the camp as the patrols left. It looked very empty--he had seen it clear of cats before, but now it just seemed sad and deserted of life.

Jaypaw followed his patrol, making sure to stick close to the members, though he continued to glance to his side, where he wished Blossompaw could walk. He had imagined since they were kits going into battle with all his littermates beside him--even Ravenpaw, before he became a medicine cat. But now, he was going in alone, with only his father and mentor there to protect him.