2| Trouble

Give me your hand, we can climb further up
And we climb the trees and the forest
seems to be bigger now

American Authors, Trouble

♡ ────── ♡ ────── ♡

Piper's POV

When the bell rings, I bolt out of the classroom and head toward the cafeteria. I find Valerie at our table and sit next to her. "Hey!" I say.

"What's up?" She asks after she finishes chewing her sandwich.

"I want to go home already," I say.

"Same." She says, complaining.

"Did you know the eco project has to be at least 30 slides, and you have to talk for at least 10 minutes!" She says, horrified.

My eyes widen. "Is there really enough information for 30 slides?" I ask.

"Well, we're using the textbook and Google, so probably." She says, shrugging.

"Can't we just make the font bigger?" I ask with a laugh.

"That's what I'm doing. My excuse is that everyone needs to be able to read it." She says.

"I have it after study hall, so that's fun..." I say, finishing my lunch.

"Wanna walk around until the bell rings?" Valerie asks.

"Sure," I say, throwing away my trash.

10 minutes later, the bell rings, and Valerie and I separate. I walk into the library and greet my aunt. After I say hi, I walk into the study room.

I sit at a desk in the corner and put on my earbuds. I open up my laptop and see a few questions in my inbox.

Please help Mae!

I have a scholarship to a great college five hours away from where my family lives. But I also have a scholarship to a college 30 minutes away from my family. I really want to go to the one farther away, but I get homesick easily.

~J

There is no easy way to answer this. I understand the struggle financially, but I've never wanted to stay in this town for college. I'm hoping for a good offer from Ohio State University.

Dear J,

I would ask your parents what they think you should do. (Especially financially if they're helping.) Or generally, anyone who wants the best for you. You should look at it from a dorming and social experience also.

I really want to attend an out-of-state school because I crave freedom from my family. I love my family, but I need to learn how to survive independently. I feel a tiny bit sheltered, and they're supportive of my decision.

But my best friend plans to commute to her college in the fall. She really likes her major's program but doesn't want to deal with a roommate. (She also got an excellent scholarship in general.)

If you need a compromise homesick-wise, you could dorm at the school nearby. You get that freedom but also have the option to drive back home whenever needed.