3| Believer

I'm a little bit scared
I'm a little bit nervous
I'm goin' nowhere

American Authors, Believer

♡ ────── ♡ ────── ♡

Piper's POV

The teacher hands back our math tests, and I smile. Yay, you didn't fail! I turn around to where Sebastian is sitting and raise an eyebrow.

He shows me his test, and I frown. "At least you didn't get an F," I say, trying to help him feel better.

"Let's face it. I'm just gonna fail this class and never graduate. Thanks for trying to help me, but maybe it's best if you only help me with you know what." He says sadly.

My heart breaks when he believes he doesn't think he'll pass. "Hey, don't say that. You will graduate. We just need more time to work on the lessons." I say, thinking. I guess you did rush the lessons since you had to teach one each day.

"Do you do anything after school?" I ask.

"If you're talking about work, no. I sometimes do on the weekends, though." He says, shrugging.

"If you want, I can help you while I'm working. I'm an excellent multitasker." I say, smiling. "Only downside is now you'll have to spend even more time with me."

"That doesn't sound so bad." He says with a smirk.

"Shut up," I say, shoving his shoulder.

"You're lucky I get volunteer hours," I say with a playful glare.

"You'll take any excuse to hang out with mwah." He says with a smug expression.

"Kill me now," I say to myself.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

I meet Sebastian at his locker and ask, "Do you know where Cooper's Cafe is?"

"I don't think so." He says, following me outside.

I grin and say, "You can just follow me on the road."

"Okay." He says.

15 minutes later, we arrive at the cafe, and I see my mom. "Mae!" She says, hugging me.

"Hi," I say, kissing her cheek.

"Gotta go." She says, slipping on a jacket.

A few moments later, Sebastian steps inside. He slips into a booth while I put on my apron. "You want to eat or drink anything?" I ask.

"Sure, can I have a blueberry muffin?" He asks.

"Coming right up," I say, going to the back of the counter to grab a muffin.

A customer walks in, and I glance at Sebastian. "Take your time. I'm just gonna have a quick mental breakdown before I look at the math problems." He says, getting out a calculator and a pencil.

I snort and cover my smile so he doesn't think I'm judging him. Even though you clearly are. I turned away before I could see him grinning at my reaction.

"Hi, what can I get you?" I ask with a smile.

"Can I get a raspberry scone and hot chocolate?" He asks without looking up from his phone.