Chapter 3 - Trust Issues

**

I woke up in a cold sweat, feeling my heart pounding out of my chest as I looked around the room. There was a a thought in that back of my mind that they'd be back and it'd happen again, but thank god I saw no one. My hand reached over to turn on the lamp, and when I did I took a better look around the room. My paranoia that something would happen was messing with my mind and it made sure to never let me feel safe.

The feeling of fear was so strong I nearly jumped out of my bed when I heard the door open. I saw Paul run in looking worried, but letting out a sigh of relief when he saw I was alright... Well alright physically. Mentally I wasn't doing all that well right now. I was still fearful for something that I shouldn't be scared of.

"Jackie darling, you alright?" Paul asked, sitting down next to me.

"I-It's just a n-nightmare... I'm alright, I just get really bad dreams sometimes," I said. "I uh... I wasn't too loud was I?"

"Darling, you were screaming bloody murder. Are you sure everything's alright, it sounded really... Disturbing," Paul said.

"I'm alright Paul I just... I don't wanna talk about it. I'm sorry I woke you, I can sleep downstairs on the couch," I said, denying it as I wiped my wet cheeks.

"No, it's alright. Just tell me if you need anything," Paul said, getting up and walking over to the door. Before he left he stopped and looked at me in concern. He looked like he was about to say something, but he stayed quiet and left to retire back to the guest room.

The rest of the night was somewhat alright. I was mainly tossing and turning and unable to fall asleep, but I eventually did. It seems I didn't get much sleep though, because when I woke up I felt like complete crap. When I stood up, I shook off the thoughts of the dream and slowly wondered around the house for a bit. It was very quiet which was a bit unsettling, and I noticed Paul's door was open and he wasn't inside the bedroom.

I just took a guess and thought that maybe he was out for a rehearsal or doing something related to his band. After a while I decided on having a nice warm shower to clear my thoughts. Surely it'd take my mind off what happened and what I dreamed of last night. And of course I was right about that one. It was the best thing I'd felt all morning. It managed to keep my mind off everything and bring me to a much more comfortable and relaxed state.

But then something just had to ruin the moment.

As I was changing I heard the floor creak, making me look around in confusion. I shrugged it off and figured that maybe it just does that sometimes, until the door flew open making me scream and jump. In came an unsuspecting Paul, making me quickly grab my towel and fumble around with it until I managed to cover up.

"Get out, Paul! Get out, get out, get out!" I screamed.

"I'm sorry I didn't know you were in here!" Paul panicked, covering his eyes.

"Get out already, Paul! Gross!" I said, shooing him away and making sure he shut the door. My body shivered as I thought about what just happened. "Yuck, he probably planned that," I whispered to myself as I wrapped a towel in my hair.

When I was finally dressed I walked out and headed downstairs. Of course Paul was there with a cup of tea in his hands as he smirked at me, obviously hinting to what happened before. I raised an eyebrow at him and sat on the opposite side of the table. He took one last sip before continuing to stare, not saying anything. It was really getting me annoyed with all the staring and I wanted to know why he kept looking at me.

"What's your problem Paul?" I asked.

"Nothing, love. Just admiring me new girl," Paul said, resting his chin in his hand.