Chapter 35 - Revelations

**

We had gone back to our own roles and had agreed to be each other's date for tonight's party. He just didn't feel like being hit on, so he begged me to act like I was his girlfriend so he could easily reject anyone that tried to hit on him.

It was a formal get together that he had been invited to. We were celebrating one of his friend's birthday that night. There were some really interesting people there, I quite liked greeting to meet them actually.

Paul went off earlier to go socialise with some friends of his, leaving me to do what I wanted. I really didn't feel like talking to a group of people today, so I just stood outside with some non alcoholic punch, one of the only drinks Paul would let me have.

The stars would be my only company until a man would approach me. He tapped me on the shoulder, and I turned around, smiling at him.

A beautiful smile was returned from him. He had one of those warm ones that made you feel welcome in an instant. "I noticed you were alone and thought I should maybe give you some company. My name's Edward, or Eddie, if you prefer," he said, his deep voice standing out to me. He put his hand out for me to shake.

"I'm Jackie," I said, shaking his hand. "Just didn't feel like being in some big group tonight, y'know. It's much nicer out here anyway."

We took a seat on a stone bench. "Yes, I suppose it is. The ambience is quite nice, actually. And the stars look lovely, don't you think?" Eddie asked, his brown eyes glinting a she looked up at the sky. Brown eyes, brown hair. Kind of cute.

"They shimmer in your eyes," I said, feeling a bit bolder than usual. A little bit of flirting wouldn't hurt anyone.

"Really? Well the moonlight brings out that smile of yours. Without it, I wouldn't be able to see it," Eddie said. "You come here alone?"

I shook my head with a slight frown. "I'm here as a date. He needed a fake girlfriend so he could have some excuse not to pick up a bird tonight, he just didn't feel like it."

"Oh I see. So you aren't involved with anyone like that then?"

"Nah. Haven't been for a while. The thing is, my date and I used to be a thing, but I found out about him cheating and it all went downhill from there. He waltzed back into my life and had been helping me get sober which is good I guess," I opened up.

"I can imagine he'd still be into you?" Eddie asked.

"Unfortunately so. It makes stuff a whole lot more confusing. I don't know what he's sticking around for, if it's me or my body he wants. I remember him telling me he would never do anything to hurt me and that he loved me," I said. "I guess I had to learn that I couldn't believe everyone who claimed to care."

Eddie shrugged. "It ain't so easy. People say things and do another, it's hard to trust people. You seem like a genuine person though."

I smiled as I fidgeted with my wine red dress. "I like to think I am. You don't seem so bad yourself."

"Gotta stay a gentleman around a beautiful woman. I can tell, you have this maturity to you," Eddie said. He scooted closer to me and began leaning towards me as we talked.

"You seem like a mature man. Someone well mannered, respectful and intelligent. It's in the way you talk," I said. "Which, by the way, you have a very soothing voice."

He chuckled. "Well thank you, Jackie."

We chatted for a while, his charm working immensely on me. It was one of the most fascinating conversations I've had with someone in a long time. He always knew what to say and was a great listener.