Chapter 26 - Showtime

**

He held my hand throughout the whole premiere for my new movie that I had recently starred in. It felt strange standing there and pretending we were a couple again, especially after I thought we wouldn't have to worry about that anymore. Last time we did a publicity stunt without actually liking each other must have been during the premiere for A Hard Day's Night, back when we first met.

I was just hoping he didn't want to pull something like he did on our first public appearance. We made a deal on the way here that if we were going in for a kiss, we had to squeeze the other persons hand, and they would have to squeeze back for it to be okay.

We were at the little champagne dinner party, and of course from there, I didn't see a reason to hang around Paul. So there I was, sat down and chatting to my good friend Dan. Of course, Paul was standing at the other side of the room, his stare burning into my head as he sipped on his champagne, and yet there was a girl he was busy chatting up.

Did I miss Paul? Yes. Did I still care about him? Yes, of course I did. But did I still love him? That was where things got complicated. I knew in my heart that I loved him still, and yet I denied it day after day, telling myself to get over it and that I was just hanging on to something that'll never happen again. Sure, he was telling me everyday he was willing to start over again and be with me, but I just didn't know if I would be able to handle it. Mentally, I could be doomed if I tried again.

"He's staring again," Dan pointed out, looking at Paul through his peripheral vision. I didn't get why Paul was acting so possessive, especially when it was obvious that I still felt for him. He knew I cared about him but just didn't wanna keep going like that anymore.

Now Dan was handsome, so I do kind of get why Paul might be so worried. Dan had such a classic ladies man type of look to him. With his black hair that was gelled back nicely, and dark blue eyes that had a very intense yet so drawing stare, I could see why girls liked him so much. It's also why I don't get why his wife would have an affair, especially when she has someone like him. Handsome and kind-hearted.

I stared Paul straight in the eye, letting him know he had been caught. Quickly, he looked away, pretending he was looking around and not looking at me and Dan. Just to cover it up more, he kept talking to that bird.

"He's terrible at playing pretend," I said, looking back at Dan. "Just a little longer, and I'll eventually be done with this. I don't think I'll be renewing my contract."

"As long as you think it's the right thing to do, then do it," Dan said, leaning back in his chair.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, nothing the different tone of voice he spoke in.

Dan probably was much wiser than me when it came to love. He was a wise person in general, always knowing what to do and what to say. That's why he was good when it came to asking for advice, especially now that I realised getting only one other opinion wouldn't be enough to help me.

"You're still in love with him," Dan said, getting out a cigarette and lighter. He tilted the box towards me to gesture an offer, but I put my hand up and shook my head to decline. After lighting his cigarette and taking a drag, he started talking again. "You really care about him, it's obvious in how you look at him."

"I don't wanna be with him anymore. He's bad for me," I said. "At first I thought he was just some flirt, and then my opinion changed. I guess my first impressions weren't wrong."

"Do you think you could spend the rest of your life without him? Because you seem really attached to him. I mean don't get me wrong, cheating is terrible. I don't condone it, and I don't think it's good," Dan said. "It's just... You aren't happy, and I can see that."

I took a few seconds to think about it. He was right, I wasn't so sure how it'd feel not being with him anymore. If I still loved him as much as I knew I did before, being separated from him would wreck my emotions, and leave me feeling heartbroken. But of course, he's a cheat. I can't stay with that, it's just toxic and untrue.

Right now, I was feeling extremely conflicted. It was obvious too, and Dan easily picked up on that. In fact, most of the people I've been around lately have noticed my mood change. My co-stars, my manager, my friends, everyone. They've all told me that I seem unhappy about something. Of course I always say I'm alright, but I'm pretty sure they saw right through it.

"I think it's just the phase after a breakup, y'know. I'll survive, I hope."

"You hope," Dan said, taking note of what I said. He narrowed his eyes in thought, a common habit of his. As he took another drag from his cigarette, he hummed in question to himself as he nodded. "If I'm correct, you still care about him though."

I sighed. "Yes I do, and if I'm completely honest I don't know if I'll ever stop. He's the first and only guy who's made me feel something like this, alright? When I told him I loved him, I meant it. It's much more than any other love I've felt before."

"My advice is to give it some time. If you still want him, go to him. If you don't, then you shouldn't have to. Just take however long you think you need," Dan said.

I nodded, looking over at Paul who was no longer in a conversation with the girl. Instead, he was talking to another one, which made me wanna scream.

**

No, Dan is not gonna be a potential love interest, I'm sorry. However I do intend on keeping him around as a reacurring character, I reckon he'd be great for Jackie as an ally in this story. She really needs another friend other than Ringo.

But I mean if you're a Janiel shipper...

Honey, I'm sorta on that boat with ya 😭