Chapter 4 - An Act

**

Ringo and I ended up talking for a few hours, and it ended up being us outside watching the sunset together. Before anyone thinks anything, no, I don't think we could ever be a couple. He's like my brother almost, it's be a bit odd and a bit strange. To be going out with him would be like me going out with a family member, it would never be put in a romantic context but of course, that's what people like to think.

We were making jokes about each other and teasing each other about our embarrassing moments as we watched the sun go down. He had me in hysterics too with his humour, I really loved how he could light up any moment with a good joke or one of his weird ways of talking. Sometimes he'd jumble up words and make sentences that wouldn't make any sense, but it would be the most hilarious thing ever.

"Gosh you're an idiot Ringo," I said, playfully punching him.

"And that's why you ended up having me as your best friend," Ringo said.

We heard the sliding door open, making us both turn around and see Paul at the door looking slightly tipsy and all messy. Not drunk, but not completely sober. He had hickey up and down his neck and a few smudged lipstick marks on his cheeks.

I looked at him with my eyebrows furrowed, and I looked back at Ringo who was giving me a comforting look. It was like he was rubbing my back and comforting me just with his ocean blue eyes and with the way they looked at me softly.

"I just thought I'd let you know I'm home, but I see you're already having your fun. Hope you enjoyed your little date with me mate," Paul said.

"Paul, now's not the time to be an arse. You're already being one by coming home like this, maybe next time clean up and not try to come home and show off to Jackie like this?" Ringo said.

"I am not showing off Ringo. She told me I could go shag whoever I want, and I did it," Paul said, crossing his arms stubbornly.

"Fine, do that but don't come home looking like a man whore. You're coming home to a woman for pete's sake! You don't have to be such a jerk to her," Ringo said, standing up.

I stood up next to him and tugged at his arm. "Ringo it's okay. I've been through worse, you know that," I said softly.

"Well it was her who was being so distant towards me and acting so cold! She can't even trust me and we barely know each other," Paul said.

"Exactly, you barely know Jackie. You don't know her or what she's been through and why she's like this. You know you two need to get along and get to know each other better, because this seriously won't be convincing any cameras. I'm gonna leave and hope on George's eyebrows you two get along," Ringo said, going inside and probably leaving the house.

Paul and I stared at each other, not saying a word. We were gonna take a long time if we were planning on acting as if we were a couple. A very very long time.

He sighed and sat dona on the outdoor couch that was sat against the wall. His eyes wondered towards the sky as he watched the sun finish setting. It didn't take long, most of it was already sunken down and could barely be seen. Paul pulled out a cigarette and started smoking it. I wasn't tha big of a smoker, I wouldn't allow myself more than two cigarettes a day.

"So I'm guessing you probably hate my guys right now seeing the state I've come home," Paul said.

"I don't hate you I'm just... Disappointed I guess. You realise that when I said I didn't mind you playing around, I didn't mean you coming home like this," I said. "Y'know Ringo is right. We don't know each other all that well."

"Hmm I wonder why," Paul said, showing the side I didn't really enjoy that much. I got to see a bit more of his other more caring side last night when he checked on me. He seemed really sweet in that moment and it really left me think on how Paul really was inside.

"Don't be like that, please. If we want to make this happen we might have to get along a bit better, which is why I wanna talk to you."

"Well do you mind waiting here for a few minutes?" Paul asked.

"Alright."

When he was off inside I took his spot and sat down on the outdoor couch. It felt like I was waiting forever because of the anticipation. I kept looking back inside at the clock, but it didn't make it tick any quicker. I was just about to get up and go inside to check on Paul when he finally came out, all cleaned up. I then stared at his neck in confusion, because the hickey were somehow gone.

"Your neck, no hickey?" I asked, looking to try and find one.

He sat down next to me and sighed. "Look, I didn't really go and find some girl to bed y'know. I did all this to... Well... Y'know..."

"No Paul, I don't know," I said, looking at him in confusion.

"I uh... I just wanted you to actually act like you have some sort of attraction to me. Y'know, make you get... Y'know, angry... Or jealous... or something," Paul mumbled.

I giggled at him when he admitted he was trying to make me jealous. It was a bit cute if I do admit, he just wanted some attention from me.

"Look Paul, I don't wanna get your hopes up or anything. We might not even end up together at all during the next 6 months. I'm not really looking for a relationship and I'm not really good with them either. I just need to tell you what you should know about me," I said.

"Go ahead then darling," Paul said.

"When I was I think 14, something happened that really damaged my ability to trust people. I've had trust issues ever since what happened and I don't usually do good with new relationships. I'm always scared somethings gonna happen which is why I can't just jump into something. I really need to know you a lot more before we do anything," I said.

"I'm guessing you won't say what happened then?"

I shook my head. "The memories are too hard, too traumatising y'know. It really damaged and hurt me so I'd prefer if we don't talk about it."

Paul nodded, "Then we don't have to, I understand completely. What can I do to earn your trust though?"

"Well first of all I barely know you. And I barely know if you're gonna keep or break my trust," I said.

"My plan isn't to hurt you or anything. It's not exactly the thing to do when you're contracted together for a while. Just give me a chance?"

I sighed, of course he'd still try win me over. "Maybe someday soon."

I stood up, about to walk off before Paul grabbed my wrist. "That ain't enough for me. I wanna be with you y'know, give me a chance darling."

"Time will tell if that'll happen, Paul," I said, before heading off.

**