12

You idiot! You weren't supposed to touch her. Kaneki mentally scolded himself as he frowned down at his palms. For a brief moment there, he saw blood on them and he shook his head. A voice taunts him. Did you forget? You don't deserve her, you don't deserve anyone. You're a damned killer.

He snapped out of his thoughts when Touka called his name and she looked at him with a puzzled expression on his face. "Why are you looking at your hands? I asked you if this dress is nice."

"A-ah, sorry." He gave a look over at the dark blue dress and smiled. "It's nice."

They had just arrived at the town Kaneki mentioned and Touka realized that he hasn't been himself ever since. When they walked, he made sure to keep a certain distance between them and never took her hand in his, not even once. He also seemed to be lost in his thoughts very often, to the point that he doesn't hear her even when she calls him like 5 times.

She frowned. What happened to the good mood they had earlier on the ship? He was so charming and warm towards her. Now, he was so distant and she didn't like it.

Maybe it's because they just started dating and things are still not comfortable yet, was what she thought. Nevertheless, she didn't ask him and hoped that it'll blow over soon. 

"Give me money. I want to buy this dress." She ordered, putting a hand out.

He fished his pockets for some notes and placed it on her open palm. The moment his fingers touched her skin, he pulled back, as if repulsed by it. He had an annoyed expression on his face and Touka felt slightly hurt by his action. It was as if he didn't want to touch her, as if she was a germ. 

She watched him jam his hands into his pockets and turned his back to her. "Hurry up and pay. We're leaving."

They passed by a bread store and she was surprised when he bought around 30 of them. Turning down the narrow alley, he led her deeper in until they entered an area which seemed different from the rest. It was dark, dirty and smelly. People so skinny that she could see their ribs even through the skin, sat on the muddy water dressed in torn and tattered clothing. There were adults and children. The Slums. 

"These people are the reason why I steal from countries like yours. They need the money so much more than we do. But they don't, so they can't buy food, shelter or clothing. Without basic needs, they can't find a job. It's a vicious cycle. I trade the treasures I steal into money and I give it to the town owner for him to equally distribute. But it's never enough for everyone. Those store owners you bought your items from earlier, previously they also lived here. Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouths, Touka."

A bunch of children spotted them and ran up to them. She could see the hunger on their faces as they stared at the bread Kaneki had in his hands and he passed them to her. Taking one bread, she handed it over to one child first. They took it and grinned at her with a thank you. 

Soon, more and more people, children and adults alike, lined up in front of her to collect the bread. It eventually ran out and her heart broke when she saw the sorrowful expression on the faces of the people who didn't get a chance to take the bread as they walked away.

"I understand very painfully how they feel because I also lived here for 6 years."

She turned to him, devastated eyes looking into his. "Y-you lived here? I-I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how it was like for you, even more for a child."

"Don't be. It's just how life is. It's just unfair."

"I didn't know there were people like this. Since I was young, I was always taught that everyone was happy and I assumed that it was true. I wasn't let out of the castle so I couldn't go confirm the truth."

His hands trembled as he saw her body shake, and he held back the urge to pull her into his arms and comfort her. "Let's go."

Once they made it back to the nicer part of the town, he dropped a few notes and coins in her open hands. "I need to meet the town owner to pass him the goods. Once you're done shopping, just wait for me at the plaza. I'll be back as soon as I can." He smiled down at her and pressed a kiss to her forehead. Suddenly, his eyes and expression turned stern. "But stay away from the slums. They're dangerous. People may try to rob or kidnap you."

"Says the one who actually kidnapped me." Touka joked and he grinned. "But okay, I understand."

She watched him disappear into the crowds and she looked at the stalls. Seeing something that interested her, she made her way over.