21

Kaneki's heart pummeled to the bottom of his rib cage as his eyes widened and jaw dropped. The King had just given him the worse punishment ever—aside from getting hanged. "W-What?"

"You heard me. Don't ever let me see your face again. If any of us do, we'll execute you straightaway. Understood?"

Kaneki's pleading eyes flickered up to Arata's. "B-but—"

"Didn't you say you'll accept any punishment?" Arata taunted. "Let me put it this way. It's either you stay away from Touka or the guillotine. You choose."

At this point, Touka couldn't just stand there and let her parents treat Kaneki so horribly. "Papa! Please don't do this!—"

"Keep quiet, Touka. Don't interrupt your father when he's talking." Hikari scolded.

"But..."

The deadly look Hikari gave her shut her up, though unwillingly. Arata angled his chin and looked down at Kaneki, who remained silent for a long time. "Your answer?"

Clenching his hands into fists, Kaneki closed his eyes and gritted his teeth. "Alright. I accept the punishment. I swear to never go near Princess Kirishima again."

"Good. Off with you." Arata smiled.

Kaneki asked his parents to wait in the carriage for him while he talked to Touka outside the main doors of the kingdom. She waited for him to speak first but he didn't, only looking at the ground with his bangs covering his expression. "K-Ken, we'll do something about this..! It's okay..!"

He raised his head and positioned his hands on her shoulders. Sorrowful eyes gazed into hers and he sucked in a breath. "Let's break up."

"What?" She felt as if she was robbed off every breath she had.

"I...your father was right. I am a selfish man. While I can guarantee you my love and happiness, I can't let my sins follow you for the rest of your life. As he mentioned, they're a black mark on myself. People will talk if you married me. It's best if I stay away from you. A better man will come along and he'll suit you even better than me."

"B-but..I don't mind having your sins follow me. As long as we're together, I don't care about anything. Even if there's a scandal, it'll eventually die down someday. Ken, please don't do this." Tears threatened to spill from her eyes and she held it in.

He gritted his teeth. "But I mind. I don't want to make you choose between your parents and me. I'm not that selfish of a guy, Touka. I won't have it. Before I took you away, you belonged here. Now, I'm returning you to where you belong. Please understand."

"What about how you feel about all this? You keep saying it's for my own good but are you okay with this?"

He snapped. "Of course I am not okay with this, Touka! But can't you see, it's the only choice!" His cheeks came away as his tears fell down. "I have to let you go, for your own happiness. If you love someone, you must be willing to sacrifice for their happiness. Besides, wouldn't it be better if I didn't die and we might get to see each other one day? Wouldn't that be nice?"

Touka shook her head, her own tears falling down and she grabbed his sleeves. "Nothing is nice when you're not by my side!"

Caressing her cheek, he leaned down to press his lips to hers and she could feel his emotions and words through the kiss. It said, 'I'm sorry, thank you, and goodbye.'

More tears spilled out of her eyes when he separated from her and turned his back to her. Biting his lower lip, Ken held in his tears as he walked away from her, from the love of his life. Only after watching Ken get into the carriage and it set off, Touka found her numb legs working and pulled up her dress to run after the carriage.

But it was too fast, and she was too slow. Tripping onto the hem of her dress, she fell down to the ground harshly and sobbed as the carriage moved further and further from her until it was out of her sight, forever.