23

Upon reaching Kingdom Anteiku, Kaneki strode confidently towards the main halls where audiences with the King was often made, and stopped abruptly. His eyes glued to the floor as he tried to recall what he had rehearsed in the carriage during his journey here. He found himself shaking; with excitement, if Arata agreed, and with fear, if Arata decides to ignore what he had to say and execute him.

Taking a huge breath, he nodded to the two guards standing in front of the door and watched it open before him. The moment Arata's gaze landed on Kaneki, his blue eyes narrowed and Ken could tell that he wasn't pleased to see him again. Stepping into the room and making his way to the middle, he swallowed and raised his head.

At that, Arata leaned back against his chair and rested his arms on the armrests. "I specifically mentioned to behead you if I ever see you again. If you're here to ask for Touka, leave before I send you to the executing grounds."

"I do want to see her, but I hope you can listen to what I have to say. You will want to hear what I've been trying to do for the past few months."

Arata raised a brow. "Go on."

"I have done my best in ensuring that I have returned everything I've stolen to the respective kingdoms. I have received every punishment they gave me and as of last month, I have completed everything I set out to, including the lessons to becoming a proper Prince. As for your jewels--" He paused to reveal the exact same ones he stole that night from behind his back. He noticed Arata's eyes widen at the sight of them and passed it to a guard who then brought it to the King for inspection. "As you can see, I've brought them back."

Putting his spectacles onto his nose, Arata picked up the jewels and scrutinized every one of them before returning it to the guard. "Good of you to bring them back to me. I assume now you're going to say you want Touka?"

Kaneki nodded. "But first--" He got into a kneeling position, his head resting on the back of his hands that was on the floor. "I beg for your forgiveness. For stealing the jewels and Touka. I have done many foolish things in my life but falling in love with her was not one of them. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Spending the past few months without her was so painful and I don't want that to continue. Please allow me to marry her, King Arata. I promise I'll bring her happiness."

If this was what it took for Arata to approve of them, Kaneki would gladly do it. If he still couldn't his permission after all this, he would find other ways to get it. He would do anything for Touka, the love of his life.

Arata remained in his chair and pondered. "For Touka's sake, I will forgive you. BUT, as for your suitability to her, I will be the one to judge. I will be holding a ball here next month and I expect you to be on your best behavior. You will be judged based on your table manners, speaking, and everything else important to someone who belongs to royalty. I shall allow you a dance with Touka, seeing how sad she is without your company, but if I so much as find you trying to steal anything else or kidnap her, I will have your head."

Kaneki stood up and bowed. "Thank you."