19

"I have something to tell you later. Don't be too surprised."

Kaneki had told her that when they were making their way from the ship to the castle. Touka wondered what kind of surprise he was planning. Whatever it was, she believed that it was a good one, since it came from him. 

When he introduced her to his parents as his lover, she was stunned on the spot. As his parents seemed to be staring at her with equal shock, judging from how their eyes widened, she quickly regained her senses and greeted them with her best manners. Ken's mother cleared her throat and directed her attention to her husband. "Well, isn't this a surprise?"

"Yes, it is." Ken's father answered.

"Before I get to the reason I brought her here, I would like to answer the matter of me taking the position of the prince in this kingdom and I am pleased to say that I accept the role," Kaneki said.

His parents seemed extremely relieved to hear that response as their bodies slumped back against the chairs they sat in and they nodded at him with a smile. "Well then, we should start preparing you for it."

"But before that, for the main reason I brought Princess Kirishima here, is because I would like to ask for your permission to marry her."

Touka's eyes almost bulged out of its sockets when she heard that and her heart raced. Ah, so this was the surprise. Because he had accepted to become the Prince again, he was now royalty and he had the right to marry her. Tears brimmed in her eyes as she remembered their conversation weeks ago.

A/N: this dialogue was from chapter 16, the smut chapter which was not available on wattpad, so those who have not read my AO3 one, you may not know it.

I just..don't want to ruin you. If I do, I'll have to marry you. You're a princess, and I'm nobody. No one would allow us to marry and you don't deserve to give yourself to me.

His parents exchanged glances with one another before his mother decided to cease the silence in the large room. "Well, if the two of you love each other, we don't see the problem in getting married. You have our permission."

Kaneki sighed in relief and bowed in respect. "Thank you." He then turned to fully face Touka and took her hands into his. Eyes locked onto hers, he smiled and spoke. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this earlier. It's my surprise. Are you okay with marrying me?"

Touka nodded, tears falling down her cheeks and he chuckled whilst wiping them away gently with his hands. "Of course I am, you idiot!"

The King commanded their attention and the couple faced the King and Queen. "While we agree to your marriage, we still need to get the permission of her parents."

At that, the couple froze and Kaneki had the gall to look sorry as he scratched the back of his head with a nervous smile. "That might be a problem."

"Why is that?" The Queen asked.

"I actually kidnapped her from her Kingdom, so her parents might be more than angry with me..." he trailed off, feeling himself shrink under his mother's furious gaze.

"You..what?! How could you kidnap their daughter?! You'll be lucky if he doesn't give you the death sentence!

"I didn't get caught all these years because no one saw my face—wait, death sentence?!"

His mother sighed heavily and nodded at her husband. "The both of you shall stay at the castle tonight to rest and tomorrow, we will travel to Princess Kirishima's kingdom to meet her parents. We can only pray that they won't give you a harsh punishment. I'll ask the servants to move your things in. You're dismissed."

--

Touka scoffed at Kaneki's frustrated gaze to the floor. "That's what you get for kidnapping me. Nevertheless, I'll try to ask my father to be more lenient in his punishment. Don't worry."

He hugged her. "Thank you. Even if I have to die, I don't regret taking you away that night. If not, I wouldn't have met you. But, I would want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Wrapping her arms around him, she buried her face into his shoulder with a frown. "Don't say that. I'm glad that you abducted me that night too because it led me to you."

He smiled. Heck, he didn't think he would love anyone more than he loved her.