[03] Naked

Chapter 3: Naked

Jesper and I stood outside one of the many rooms in Maythorne Manor. My mum was inside, talking to Mrs Maythorne. I'd finally convinced her that we had to leave. It was a tough sell. She'd been enjoying the luxurious lifestyle of the manor; eating pie every few hours, tanning by the lake, roaming through the halls as if she belonged here.

We didn't belong.

Of that I was certain.

"What does your mum say about all of this?" I asked Jesper.

He frowned. Like he always does when his mum is mentioned.

He showed me the text on his phone, "She said 'bring me souvenirs.' That's it."

"Hey," I said optimistically, "at least you got cell service."

A corner of his lip edged into a smile. Just then, the door to Mrs Maythorne's study opened and my mum came out.

"We're leaving. Say your goodbyes and we'll hit the road before nightfall. I got us the last flight out," she said.

"Yes! Let's go!" I cheered.

"Not you, Georgia. You'll stay here."

I stared at my mother. Her eyes were puffy and red. I hadn't realized but she'd been crying, and she was being serious. She planned to leave me here.

"Stay?" I repeated in shock.

"Yes. I can't take you with me. Mrs Maythorne is going to take care of you from now on."

I had no words. None. What happened in there? This was my own mother. How could she abandon me?

Jesper stepped in, "That's not gonna fly."

"Jesper," my mother choked on her own words, "We have to. Georgia can no longer stay with us. Baby," my mother fell to her knees in front of me and brought my hands in hers, "Lavender Georgia Young, I don't want you to feel alone. I love you. I'll call you all the time and I'll send you anything you need. One day you'll come back to us. You won't understand now but in time you will."

"Are they blackmailing you? I don't want to stay here." Without realizing it I was crying too.

"They didn't do anything, sweetie. They'll help you through this. Life has taken a strange turn and fate is calling you now. When I found you as a little girl all those years ago, I knew deep down I was only borrowing you. My time is up but I'll always be your mother. I'll wait for you to come back to me when you're ready."

"She's ready now," Jesper interrupted.

He gripped the back of my wheelchair. It was him subconsciously proving his determination. Mrs Maythorne came out of the study and faced us head-on, interrupting our family time.

"Everything will be explained in due course. You already know, Georgia, that you are not the same girl who first entered Swell Valley. The lightening incident has changed things. Thankfully, you found us and we can help you. It'll take time and hard work, but we will do it. And we will do it in the safety of this manor and in the hidden protection of this isolated town."

Jesper raised his hand. "Can we have a word?"

Mrs Maythorne was surprised by Jesper's unemotional reaction. He knew how to keep a cool head in bad situations.

"Jesper, I know you care a lot about Georgia, but you'll have to leave her behind. You cannot stay here and she cannot go. You don't have the same... genetics."

"You are getting creepier by the minute," he said, shaking his head at the word genetics.

"I don't take kindly to insults."