[29] Lucky Strike

'Sometimes human places, create inhuman monster' - Stephen King

Chapter 29: Lucky Strike

*Recap*

"Do you see?" Nate said.

The others tried not to make it too obvious when they looked around. There was a man sitting alone by the side of the bar.

"I've seen him before, at the same restaurant as us yesterday. He was alone then too," Nate said.

"Do you think he's following us?"

I didn't want anyone to answer that. I knew what was coming up next. They wanted to take him on.

"Can't we wait until this last group leaves?" I asked, pointing at the family on the lane next to us.

They were the last ones there. I didn't like the thought of innocent people being caught in the crossfire.

"Fine, but then we'll attack."

*End of recap*

A little boy held a balloon in one hand and his father in the other. His little sister ran circles around them on a sugar high that had no sign of stopping. Her fingers were sticky with the lollipop she was licking and her tongue was blue from all the candy.

I watched them return their bowling shoes, pay for their evening and walk out the front door.

"They're gone. It's showtime."

That family had been the last thing between us and an attack. Aside from three employees, the only ones left in the bowling center were us and him. He got up now, dressed in a loose hoodie and jeans, and asked to pay.

"Move."

We got into first positions. Mohan went to the bathroom but, in reality, went to close the exit. Zander went to get another drink at the bar.

"Sorry, we're closing up now. You and your gang planning on leaving soon?" the employee said, pointing at us.

"Yeah, sure we'll uh," Zander leaned against the bar, "We'll leave. Can I have one for the road?"

Bartender sighed, "Fine but it'll cost you extra. Cash only."

"No problem," Zander threw a $20 bill on the table.

When the bartender turned around to grab a glass, Zander punched the unsuspecting man. The man was thrown off his barstool and scrambled to his feet, running very fast towards the door. Mohan emerged, arms crossed, blocking his exit. He turned around, finding the boys homing in on him.

The man let out an animal cry and darted around, his speed picking up at an inhuman rate.

They were right. He was a creature after all.

"Go go go go," I urged Jesper forwards.

We had been tasked with getting the employees out of here safely. I went straight for the employee behind the bar and Jesper went for the cleaner. The employee at the front desk was on the safe side of Mohan's area.

We heard a crash. The man had gone for the window, breaking it with his arm.

"Nice try," Zander chuckled, fast to catch him and yanking him back by the legs.

"Pass him over here," Hugo exclaimed, "I want a turn."

"Fine he's all yours."

And that's when things went wrong. The man escaped from their clutches and ran across the bowling alley, skipping over the isles at lightning pace.