[04] Down the Rabbit Hole

A/N: I think you'll like this chapter. One of the boys gets a little too close ;)

Chapter 4: Down the Rabbit Hole

"Naked man! There's a naked man coming to the house!" I called out as I came wheeling into the kitchen, looking for Emily.

"Miss Lavender, is everything ok? Why are you looking for a naked man?"

I am giving the wrong impression here.

"Emily, there's a man in the forest. He's covered in mud, not wearing any clothes and crawling toward us. We need to do something!"

"Oh," Emily chuckled, setting down her baking pan, "That must be Mohan."

I had to clean the wax out of my ears. Did she just say his name?

Emily cheerfully walked out of the kitchen and told me to follow. Sure enough, when we came into the hallway we found Mrs Maythorne wrapping a blanket around the naked man. 

"Mohan, I'm so glad you came back."

Jesper bolted into the room with a baseball bat in hand. He must've been looking for that while I'd been screaming the alarm. The false alarm. He hid the bat behind his back and gave me a sheepish grin.

"Seemed appropriate at the time," he muttered.

I tried not to laugh.

Mohan was covered in mud. His black hair was disheveled, but the rugged handsomeness of his features couldn't be hidden. He was muscular from head to Achilles' heel. What is it with this place? It's just one Greek god after another.

He looked at me now and his eyes glistened with energy, "Kaya, it's nice to finally meet you."

"I'm not Kaya."

He frowned, "Ok... Who are you?"

"Who are you?" I answered back.

Mrs Maythorne answered that, "This is Georgia. She's unplanned. But she arrived in town and fits the profile, so we've taken her in. We're still working on Kaya."

"And the boy?" Mohan nodded at Jesper.

"He's... refused to leave."

"We can change his mind."

Jesper gripped the bat more tightly. Maybe bringing it wasn't such a bad idea after all. He wasn't taking any chances with this place.

"I don't think that will be necessary for now. Let Emily run a bath for you, and while she does that, I'll catch you up on what's happened during your absence."

He nodded, all the while staring at Jesper and me, "Someone get me alcohol."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"I don't know how I feel about all of this," I told Jesper as I put on a new set of gloves that Emily had brought me. I got into my wheelchair and only then allowed him into my room. I wasn't playing around with the safety issue of my condition. "Do you think we can call the police?"

"I thought about it, but what's her crime? She's invited us to stay, taken care of you under doctor's orders and your mother gave her permission. She's even asked me to leave. I'm in this prison voluntarily."

"One look at this place though and surely..." I dropped my train of thought as I realized he was right.

We were living in a mansion, with all our wishes catered for. Everyone around us was on Mrs Maythorne's side. No one would believe us. Jesper saw the despondent look on my face and changed tone.