[51] Smoke Out

Chapter 51: Smoke Out

Everglades Academy was hosting its Winter Formal this Friday. I did not want to go.

A date event is like rubbing salt to a wound. I get it. I'm single. I lost Jesper and Nate kind of rejected me yesterday.

"Unfortunately, it's not a mask-wearing event but I'm sure we can cover your face up with makeup," Cleo said.

I think she was trying to help. 

My face was bruised from the beating I had gotten by the boot camp group.  I felt how I looked. Miserable. The people who knew my secret, kept from me the truth that I may die in a couple months. 

A party was not going to make that better.

I was confused by what Nate had told me yesterday. It didn't sound like the Nate I knew. But then again, nothing was like I knew anymore. 

"Thank you for bringing up my face again," I said to her, "I almost forgot I look like a pufferfish."

She looked so guilty, "I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that. Anyway, I have to run to meet my tutor."

She ran off and Hugo filled in the gap. "George, where's your friend?"

I rolled my eyes at him. "The one that just left?"

"No, the one with the hooped earrings."

"You obviously know her name."

"Yeah, I do," he smirked, "And I also know who her date is for the formal. You can tell her that he's no longer available, but I've swept in to save the day."

"What a gentleman," I said sarcastically, "Unfortunately, I won't be your errand girl and fake heroism will only lead to your deflated ego. I don't speak for my friend, but I don't think she's gonna fall for that one."

"Actually..."

I turned around and saw Isla behind me. The way she was looking at Hugo made me realize I was wrong.

"I already heard about how you sabotaged my date," Isla told him, "You could've just come up and asked me."

"Ok, I'm going to leave now..." I awkwardly stepped aside.

They didn't notice, and I knew that Hugo was about to get what he wanted. A date with Isla.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"I don't want to go to winter formal."

I chewed on a red twizzler, leaning back against my chair, and said, "I hear you, Brianna. I get it. You are angry at Zane and the last thing you want to do is go to a dance with him."

She nodded and stretched her hand out for a twizzler. I chucked her the pack.

I then said, "But you also haven't left the Manor since you got here. And you've gone through a lot after Paris. Maybe you deserve a break, get your mind off things."

She grinned, eating two at a time, "I see what you're doing. Slick."

"Honest," I said, "I was a prisoner here too once. In some ways, I still am."

And Zander had been a voice of reason to me. I wanted him to find happiness. I knew he cared for her very much - she just didn't see it yet.

"I just..." she sighed in frustration and started over, "There's so much bad sh*t happening right now. And here Zane is getting all dressed up for some fancy night with his weak human friends."

That's exactly how I felt. I was not in the mood for a party after learning that I may be about to die.

"I'm pretty sure Zane hates the idea of this formal. He hates most things but this one especially. The only reason he's doing it is because he thinks it'll draw you out."