[34] Hardest Mission

Opportunity may knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell

Chapter 34: Hardest Mission

Nate could burn me down with his stare. I have never met someone like him. Fallen angel... that's what I thought the first time I saw him.

"Madame Dagarelle, let me introduce you to my uncle. He's a big patron of the arts here in Paris."

I had to shake out of it. I had to concentrate on the job at hand. We were on a mission. One small slip up and we'd be toast.

The party continued in the grand hall. Artwork hung in silver frames for patron to admire and purchase.  The demon prison owners were in this room.

We had been shown their faces - three human faces - and they were our targets this evening.  Get the keys to the prison...

I was here as a guest, Nate as an art curator and Hugo as a waiter.  Only one of us needed to achieve the mission.  But it would be a hard one.  

I had three targets and none of them included Nate. So why was I so focused on his every movement?

"Nice to meet you," I said.

Edgar introduced me to a bunch of stuffy old men. They talked art and the stock market and someone mentioned politics but it was quickly dismissed as too controversial.

Edgar seemed to know everyone. His Uncle must be quite the patron. And just as I thought that, one of my targets strolled right up to Edgar's uncle.

Stay cool, Georgia, stay cool.

"May I introduce you to Count Mensdorff-Pouilly‎."

I stared the demon face-to-face. A count with a fancy surname. I expected it to speak in its native language but a very eloquent French accent came out instead.

"Pleasure to meet you Madame. Any friend of the Cornil's is a friend of mine."

I was in. Thank you Edgar.

The music piped up even louder and people started to dance. I noticed Hugo pass by in his waiter's outfit. He was heading towards target number 2. He had a tray of drinks in his hand, pretending to work the event. Mrs Maythorne had gotten him that gig as well. 

It was funny to watch Hugo change attitude from the loud, confident guy to being very discreet and polite. He was a great actor. He looked like he was enjoying it too much.

"Would you care for a dance?" Edgar asked me with a slight bow of his head.

I don't really.

What I wanted was to get into the pockets of Count Pollydorf or Mendsdorff or whatever his human name is. He had to have either the keys or his ID in there. 

But I had to accept Edgar.

Edgar whisked me onto the dance floor and wrapped my hand in his. He led the way in a modern foxtrot. 

What a joke.

It's my first time.  I hope it will be my last.

If any of my old school friends could see me now... I'd be the punchline of every joke

"That was delightful Madame Dagarelle, delightful," Edgar's Uncle clapped as we returned.

The Count nodded his head, "Yes, well done."

I remembered Mrs Maythorne's words: they have no emotion.

"Would you like to dance, Count?" I asked.