[49] Hot Chocolate & A Blanket

Doesn't this poster take you back to the adventure in Paris? City of romance. Thank you @_theunsaid.words_ for making this poster, in between your writing!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have – Bob Marley

Chapter 49: Hot Chocolate & A Blanket

I ran a half-marathon last night. The coldest night of the year so far. The first snow fell and ice bit at my face. I had no coat and I had no shoes.

I wanted to prove myself. I can.

I came home feeling like I had a chance at surviving all of this. I stripped my wet clothes off and wrapped myself in bundles of warm blankets. I was shivering and the feeling in my hands, face and feet only started to return after what felt like thirty minutes under the covers. I made it. I will be strong.

The next morning, I woke up sick.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"You're a wreck, sweetie. Here's some hot cocoa," Emily placed a hot mug in front of me, "More marshmallows?"

"Yes please," I nodded and sniveled from my runny nose.

Mohan sighed and rolled his eyes. I ignored him, wrapping the blanket tightly around my body.

Emily was a big comforter. "You need to rest. You shouldn't go to school today."

"She should," Mohan disagreed, "She didn't come to practice this morning, so she can damn well sit in a class."

The boys honked the car out front. "Are you coming or not?"

I sighed and grabbed my backpack. I was wearing my school uniform under the blanket and took the blanket with me. Emily gave me a to-go cup for my hot cocoa.

"Shotgun passenger seat," Hugo called out, "I am not sitting next to the plague."

Zander shoved him out of the way before he could get into the car and took his seat, "You earn what you take. I don't play kid games."

I got into the backseat and Hugo very reluctantly got in next to me. 

I offered him the to-go cup, "Do you want some hot cocoa?"

I accidentally sneezed over it.

"Get me out of here!" Hugo dramatically tapped on the car windows.

Nate chuckled, watching me in the reflection of the rear-view mirror.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Winter was here, and it was too cold to eat outside. So we no longer had our picnic bench and all the seniors were cramped into the cafeteria with us. Jesper bit into an apple, his football helmet placed on his table like a status symbol. 

Holly came by and kissed him long and hard for the school to see. He offered her a bite of the apple.

Nate, Hugo and their boys were sitting on a table nearby.

My friends were squeezed in the back, borderline on the floor. We didn't have the social capital for a coveted table. I took my tray of food towards them, passing by Jesper's table and Nate's. My blanket trailed behind me like a reminder of the sickness I was spreading.

I got to our spot when I realized I forgot cutlery. Cleo, Isla and Sid were busy chatting about last night's episode of GOT. I went back for the cutlery, passing by their tables once again.