III

-Caroline-

I sit up in a pile of my own sweat. Heavy breathing and a mini heart attack consumes me in my bed once again. The nightmares will be the death of me. I just want to forget him. Everyone else has. I look over at the clock that reads out 3Am. Oh great. I have to be up in three hours. Curse you education.
It's now Thursday, three days since the first day of school and this is the second time waking up at 3am. Maybe Sam was right, it's just too soon. Sighing; I get up out of my bed and walk down the steps quietly. I don't want to wake up my mom. Nobody needs that in their life.

The glow of the kitchen light is somewhat comforting... maybe because I can find food in there. I open the fridge and look for my lord and savior. COOKIE DOUGH. This my friends is the only good thing to come out raw eggs and whatever else cookie dough is made of. I take a huge chunk and make my way back upstairs. I wish cookie dough could solve my problems.

-in the morning-

My reflection doesn't look stupid today... cool! I'm wearing my signature and boring ripped jeans with my black hoodie and some vans. Nothing special, but it's me to the fullest. I grab my bag and run down the steps. My mom is sitting at the kitchen counter, holding her head. Oh another night on the town gives you a head ache? She looks up and me and waves
"Hey hon, how'd you sleep?" Haha funny. I grab the pear off the counter and bite into it.
"It was okay. How was Happy Harry's?" I say with a little tude. She chuckles and flips me off. Yup that's my momma for you. "Love you too. I gotta go to school thou... will you be home tonight?" I ask her.
Okay freeze frame as I break the fourth wall for you all. My mom is a classic drunk but she is still my mother and I love her. Is she cruddy? Yes. Does she have a problem? Yes. But does she still take care of me? Yes and I love her for that... even if she does some cruel things.
My mom looks up, like she is thinking hard. She shrugs " I work until 4, I might be home around 7 or 8," okay so 10pm it is. I start to walk out the door. "Okay bye mom," I say, not waiting for her response. I don't have a car so walking is the way for me. It's not that far only about a mile. I plug in my head phones and listen to Sleeping At Last. His voice is so pretty.
Once I get to school, I see the parking lot filled with the people I hate. Just kidding, I don't hate everyone just most of them. I see the jocks, the cheerleaders, the nerds (heeeeyyy me!!) and I see him... Spencer Charnas. He hasn't spoken to me since the hallway incident on Monday. Thank you god. I don't understand him. He has picked on me forever and then calls me cute. Who the fook is he? I'm interrupted by my best friend jumping on my back.
"Hello beautiful best friend!" She greets me. I laugh at her
"Sam, this is why people think we date." She laughs back at me and hits me in the arm. We start walking to class together. " So, how are you on this cloudy depressing day?" I ask. She rolls her eyes at me.

" My parents are away this weekend so Jake is coming down and is gonna hang out with me," Jake is her boyfriend who is in college now. He lives like an hour away now so he comes and sees her on the weekends. "Oh that's cool. Am I chopped liver this weekend?" I ask her and I get hit in the arm again. Okay hoe I get it! Stop punching me.

"No why would I do that? Do you wanna go to this concert with me and jake? It's some local thing?" She asks me. I nod and we finally get to my class. "Well here we are. I'll see you later okay?" She punches my arm FOR THE THIRD TIME, and walks away. I laugh a little and sit in my spot. As the class pours in, I see him. I look away and focus on the assignment on the board. Oh! Did I tell you guys that I have two classes with this asshat? Oh I didn't? Well.....
"Hey bestie," he says as he sits behind me. I roll my eyes. He laughs and goes to talking with his other poser friends. Ms. Kearns shuts the door and clears her throat.

"Good morning class! Today we will be partnering up for a reading assignment. Since we are reading hamlet I thought it would be a great idea to group you guys up to do some reading and an essay," everyone groans and most automatically start choosing their partners. "Not so fast y'all. I already choose your assigned partners. So the groups are..."

"Gabe and Conor"
"Sydney and Ryan"
"Nicole and JD"
"Justin and Anthony"
"Britney and Garret"
"Kyia and Carissa" I roll my eyes at Carissa's name. That's another one of my favorite people. Cough cough

"Nikki and Jake"

"And Caroline and Spencer. Alright partner up please," She finishes. My heart starts to do the panic thing and I loose control of my breathing. This can't happen. I swallow my anxiety and get up to go talk to Ms Kearns. I get to her desk and she looks up at me. "Can I please work alone?" I ask and she shakes her head. "Spencer is my most troublesome student. I want you to help him get his grades up. I really don't want him in my class again," not even she wants him. "Well why..." she cuts me off. "No why me. I am the teacher please just help him. I'm not asking..." I sigh and give up. Walking back to my desk. There he is smirking at me with that dumb smile. It's a nice smile but he's dumb.

"I guess we are partners Carebear," I groan and sit down. Why him? Why me? "I do my part you do yours, I'll keep my distance okay," he laughs and hits me in the arm. WHAT THE HELL IS WITH PEOPLE TODAY. I'm literally gonna have a bruise.

"Nah Care, why don't you come over on Sunday and we can work on the project together. It will be a hell of a time," he says winking. I almost gag. "I said so. I'll see you Sunday," as soon as he says this the bell rings... how he do that?

_______________________

  Third period came around and I wasn't that mad because this is my favorite class. Vocal Choral. This is the class I have with Sammy... but also Spencer again. I guess he likes singing; or it's just to get his general arts credit out of the way. Im going to go with that. The class only has about 15 people in it, which I love. Especially my teacher, Mr. Saltz. He is the best choir teacher I have ever had.
    Sammy gets in the class and sits on the riser next to me "Hey girly, I know I took forever to get here. Yo hoe had to pee!" I laugh at her. She is what I wish I could confidently be. "I'm excited that you said yes to the concert on Saturday. It's going to be some of Jakes old friends playing and some other locals. Totally not our scene, but really cool," She jokes. Definitely not our scene.

   "Yeah I'm excited to get out of the house and see some live music. The last time I saw a concert was when we saw motionless in white last year," I laugh. "Me too! Omg we are slacking girl," She is so right. We both shut up when the devil himself walks into class. She rolls her eyes not caring if he hates her or not. I wish. He kicks my bag on the way in and laughs. "Now was that necessary?" Sam speaks up. I hit her arm for once signaling her to shut up. "Fight your own battles Carrie," is he bipolar? The answer is yes. "Pick on someone else Mr. Charnas and sit the heck down." Mr. Saltz says as he walks in.

   " So did I tell you that Spencer is my book partner," I whisper to Sam. She looks at me with wide eyes and sympathy. "Sorry, I may have made that worse for you," I nod. This weekend is going to be hell.

———————————-

Hey guys!!! Two chapters in one week give me a cookie plssss. Thank you for the votes and the comments!! I love seeing them in my notifications. Feel free to vote and leave some more comments. Thank you guys!!!

-lex