Coming to Africa

Loving Lola encompasses New York of USA and Lagos of Nigeria

New York

"Sir, are you really sure about this decision to go all the way to Africa when you can easily send one of your subordinates there to do this?"

This was the umpteenth time Walter Sanks, the Head of Operations, had asked me this question since I'd announced at the board meeting this morning that I'd be going to Africa to start up the branch we'd been planning for months now.

"Walter, I have my reasons for this decision, don't worry about me". I told him as I arranged the documents that were on my oak table.

Trying to calm his restless nerve down, I joked.
"If you care so much you can come along with me"

"Wha-what sir? M-me?"

I smirked at his hysterical expression. "If you won't, I would appreciate you went back to your office so I can plan properly for my trip"

"Of course sir" He replied looking like he failed some mission.

I was very sure that mother had put him up to this. Since I'd told mum and dad last night about this journey, mum had been against it although dad was fine with the decision.

Even after I told mum Damien Adler, my childhood friend, who is a celebrity photographer, would be coming along, she still tried to discourage me.

Although she is Mrs Schmidt, the woman who holds the heart of the Chairman of Schmidt holdings, she knows that when I make any decision, I don't go back on them.

"Alright fine, but you must return to me in three months. You know I can't live without my baby" She'd said, plastering kisses on my face. I smiled and nodded while making a mental to clean off the lipstick smudges that would have covered my face.

I checked my schedule and flight details, Nigeria was over ten hours from New York. I needed to rest in before my flight tomorrow morning.

LAGOS
~~~

" Lola Williams."

I read out gleefully as I looked at my new I.D card. Finally I was a permanent staff of Skyview hospital.

The examination for permanent position was really tough and I'd almost lost hope, but my faith in God helped me overcome my fears.

All the other interns who has taken the exam with me but weren't picked had congratulated me when the list came out but it sure was half-hearted.

Mum was even more ecstatic than I was because she is well aware of how difficult it is to find a job in Nigeria, how much more in a hospital like Skyview.
I sure felt like a proud Medical laboratory scientist.

I was on my way to pick my coat when I met the Director of the Laboratory, Mr Tomiwa.

"Congrats on your permanent employment Omolola", he voiced with his Yoruba accent.

Although I had corrected him that it was just Lola, I'd let it slide today.

" Thank you very much sir, I'm sure you all won't regret this decision".

He nodded as he walked past me.

My laboratory coat was so crisp that it give me chills and I ran my index finger over my imprinted name and the "Principal Medical Laboratory Scientist" written underneath.

If dad was here, he'd be so proud. It's been three years since we last saw but he promised to come visit before Christmas.

Although he and mum had been separated for over twenty years, they'd kept in touch, mostly because of me.

I donned my coat and went to the haematology laboratory which would be my unit for the next six weeks.

As I approached the door, I saw my favorite scientist, Mrs Vicky, who gave me a congratulatory high-five as I walked into the automatic slide doors.

"Congrats lollipop", she cooed without stopping.

"Thank you ma" I yelled after her.

"Ehen Lola, " Mrs Okafor called at me immediately I entered in to the main laboratory, "I've been looking everywhere for you, take this, your first assignment is to go welcome our investors. They'll be landing from the US today and you can't afford to be late OK?"

"Of course ma" I replied collecting the folder from Mrs Okafor, the chief scientist of haematology unit.

"All the information you need to know are inside there. I've asked Mr Dauda, to drive you there, oga CMD has dropped his keys, so enjoy the ride and don't leave a wrong impression for Skyview "

As usual, I knew that she was probably asked to do this by the higher-ups, but I had no choice but to comply accordingly.

I walked out of the automatic doors to go find Mr Dauda.

*Author's note;
This is the first chapter and I haven't done proofreading yet, do pardon me.

I'm sure the use of words which you are not used to would have left you wondering. They are Nigerian pidgin English words.

Ehen; Oh yes
Oga; Boss

Any other strange words you may notice, do me well to send a Dm, and I'll be sure to explain asap.

Dena xoxo