Chapter 7

Lola's POV

The music vibrating through the door of our apartment wasn't loud enough to disturb the neighbors but loud enough to be heard outside the apartment door.

I swiped my card and opened the door. The first wave of music that hit me made me wince.

"Suzy! Suzanne!!" I yelled my roommates name as I walked into the living room.

Suzy was nowhere here but what had me frozen in my tracks was the cake on the coffee table with "Congratulations Sct Lola" written on it.

All the fuss I planned to make about the loud music flew out of the window.

Suzy bounced into the room holding a wine bottle on one hand and two glasses on the other and abruptly stopped.

I looked up at her from the cake, but there was a little disappointment on her face.

"Why are you here?" She questioned.
"You're not supposed to be back yet". She said almost sounding mad.
"I'm not done with the arrangements. I mean, you can see-"
Her complaints were cut off by the big hug I gave her.

"Oh my Suzy, you are the best. Thank you, really" I told her.

"Oh come on, don't get all mushy on me Rolls"
She said chuckling and I released her my from grip. "How couldn't I celebrate you. You were picked among several other super intelligent interns for permanent employment! Do you know how proud I am right now?" She told me with a sweet smile.
"Thanks Suzy, and that's why you're my bff" I retorted laughing, ignoring the fact that she'd called me Rolls yet again.

We knelt on the floor and said our prayers of thanks to God and cut the cake. Suzy served me a huge chunk but I couldn't refuse because she wouldn't take no for an answer on such a day as this.

"So who was it that your people asked you to go pick up from the airport on such an important day?" She asked.

That lead me to tell her everything that had happened, from picking up Mr Schmidt and Mr Adler to waiting in their house till they got settled in.

"Woah!" Suzy exclaimed. "He must go to the gym for him to have a bod like that" Suzy said in reference to telling her about when I had seen Mr Schmidt come out of the bathroom. "What did he do?" She inquired.

"Nothing really. He spoke to me from where he stood but he didn't seem too fazed by it. I, on the other hand, I thought my face and neck were going to explode" I replied.

"Mm-hmm" She hummed with a sarcastic look on her face.

"What?" I asked curious of why her reaction was like that.

"You're no longer pure, Lola. So you just stood there and stared? You were enjoying the view weren't you?" Suzy said with a Cheshire cat smile on her face.

"I mean, I was wondering how he could be that handsome and have that kind of bo-" I stopped speaking when I heard myself.
"Err Suzy, I think I've had too much to drink. I'm going to head to bed now". I told Suzy.

That earned me bouts of laugh from Suzy.
"I think I should give you red wine more often, at least then I can know what is inside that mind of yours". She yelled after me as I climbed the stairs to my room.

As I dropped on my bed, I was grateful Suzy didn't push me for more information like she normally would. She must have seen how tired I was. She had a knack for prying into my private business. She always blamed it on the fact that she is a lawyer. I always retorted that she hadn't practiced for up to a year yet. Then she would tell me it was a family thing.

Her father is the attorney general of Lagos state and her mother, a solicitor general. Even her brothers are into law one way or the other.

When I got to work the next morning, I was almost immediately called to the Director's office.

"Good morning sir" I greeted the man, Mr Oluwole, who was sitting behind a big desk with a laptop computer and lot of files and papers stacked at one side of it.

"Good morning Lola. I appreciate what you did yesterday, I believe our guests settled in well?" He questioned me with a smile on his face and his hands folded under his chin.

"Yes sir, I stayed with them at their home until they were settled in". I replied.

"That's very good. I wasn't at all displeased when Mrs Okafor told me she had sent you in her stead. I even felt you would do a great job as you are young and smart also". He complimented.

"Thank you sir". I responded, feeling good that I received such high praise from a high ranking official.

"Are you aware of what exactly our international guests are investing in?" He inquired of me.

"Not exactly. I assumed it was the hospital at large sir" I replied, now becoming curious.

"Do you remember the project you presented during your internship, that even the Chairman  asked for a copy?" He asked.

I remembered very vividly as that had been a very happy time for me.
I had researched on blood cancers and had come up with a means to diagnose the disorder at very early stages using routine methods. The hospital had gone ballistic over it then. Some specialists and consultants, even senior scientists had approached me to ask for rights to it in exchange for me receiving a huge sum of money for it. I had almost given in to them but I was advised against it by my parents.

"Of course sir. I remember it" I replied to his question.

"The Chairman of the the board had sent the proposals of that project out to different national and international companies and the Chairman of Schmidt holdings agreed to sponsor your project in full. Although it's still going to be under the parentage of Skyview.
We wanted to tell you sooner but we hadn't finished processing your permanent employment yet". He finished with a grin.

That made me realize why my employment was rushed. They needed my project to get investments and improve the already prestigious name of this organization. I was really glad that my project would be sponsored in full. I almost yelped.

"So prepare yourself Lola, you will be working closely with Mr Schmidt for a while".

Author's note
Hey guys. The way Loving Lola is climbing the charts is making me really excited. I'm really grateful to everyone who reads and votes. God bless you all.
The next chapter is already in progress, expect it soon.

Dena xoxo.