24. everything

24. everything

 everything

━━━━━━━━

"So you've told your mom all about me, huh?"

"Yep, and frankly, it hurts my updog that you haven't done the same."

"Hurts your what?"

"My updog."

"What's updog?"

"Nothin' much, how about you, babe?"

"Wow... I hate you."

"Then I guess it's a good thing it's opposite day."

"What have you told her?"

"I'll tell you that if you tell me why you haven't told your mom about me."

"She already knows about you."

"But that's from her snooping. Why haven't you told her, Nessa? Are you embarrassed by me? Is it because I dated Jenny?"

"No! Of course I'm not embarrassed by you! And you dating Jen— uh, Niffy changes nothing in how I feel about you."

"How do you feel about me?"

"I... I don't know, Nico. You're a good guy. A great guy."

"Then why haven't you told your mother, Nessa? I keep thinking it's my fault. I keep thinking this whole thing is one-sided: that you don't need this as much as I do."

"It's not you, Nico. It will never be you. My mother and I just aren't like that. At least, not anymore."

"What changed?"

"Everything."

"I'm here, Nessa. Tell me."

"...Okay. Once upon a time... it was just the two of us. My dad had died and the only thing that mattered to us was each other. We'd supported each other for years until one day, my stepdad, Steven, came along. Everything was the same, but different. I still mattered to her, but not as much as Steven did. He filled the hole in her that my dad's death had left."

"And then?"

"And then Steven cheated on her, and she shattered like glass. She couldn't sleep, she couldn't eat, she couldn't live. She couldn't live, Nico."

"I'm so sorry."

"And that's— that's not even the worst part! Steven fucking left us! He up and disappeared to God knows where and it feels like dad all over again but anger instead of pain. It feels like we're back to how it was before Steven except everything is worse because my mother can't handle the heartbreak again."

"I'll kill him."

"She forces herself to keep going. Every fucking day she gets dressed and goes to the stupid clinic to help everyone but herself. She's hollow and empty, but she somehow still puts a smile on her face. Then she comes home and talks to me like nothing ever happened."

"She's an incredible mother."

"A mother? No, Nico. But I'm willing to bet she's a damn good therapist."

━━━━━━━━

this chapter was heavy, but important.

if this doesn't show that nico can be a goof but also sweet and genuine then idk what will

he might be the best character i've ever created i luv him

also we're really close to a reader milestone and i might tear up i luv u guys and your support

Don't forget to vote!

xoxo, Sierra