Chap. 9: Peach's POV

What happened to Daisy? What did Mario do to her?

We were all in Bowser's old castle, and it brought about so much memories. I saw the old cage he used to put me in. It was still there, but it was not on the rope anymore; it was on the ground. The lava had hardened, making it safe to walk on.

Bowser was dragging the cage to the bedroom, since said cage was going to be Basilisk's new bed for now until we could find something else more suitable. I decided to use the dress I wore when I had him as a blanket and sheet for him. Luigi and Bowser were gonna take shifts keeping an eye out for Mario while me, Bowser Jr., and Basilisk slept.

***

I heard a sound in the night that woke me up. I got up and saw that Bowser and Luigi had fallen asleep on the job.

Wonderful...

I crept past them and went to the lava room, where Mario was creeping along. He didn't see me, which was good because I had a crazy plan.

Bowser was the only one who could manipulate this stuff and make it lava again. I snuck back and tried to wake him up, but he was out cold, leaving me to think up a plan B. I decided to grab some torn up sheets and wrap them around, making it look like Basilisk was inside. I then walked back, but Mario was nowhere in sight.

Where is he?

My question was answered when the cooled lava turned hot again, bringing back the flowing warmth. Mario came out of nowhere, and he looked ticked. The lava really brought out the anger within, and it made him look more menacing.

"Is that the child?" he asked.

"Yes," I lied, trying to make it sound convincing.

"I will not kill you or your friends—if you throw it in," he said calmly.

I knew that if I just tossed in the sheet without tears or a fight, he would be suspicious, so I said (with a break in my voice), "Why do you want him dead so bad?"

"You know why," Mario responded sharply. "You know it isn't supposed to exist. You know it isn't supposed to live. And you know that it wasn't ever meant to be made!"

This was actually enough to bring tears to my eyes, which I needed to make this more convincing. I said with tears, "Look, I'm sorry, ok?! I don't know how it happened! It just did! But please, don't make me kill my child!"

"Look, I know it's hard, but you and I both know what must be done," he said softly. "It's for your own good."

I took a deep breath, and threw the sheets in, watching it catch flame briefly before sinking to the bottom.

"See? It wasn't so hard, was it?" he asked rhetorically.

"It was, but I feel better now," I replied, knowing it was just what he wanted to hear.

"Well, I guess I'll be on my way," Mario said as he strutted out like a smug hotshot.

I ran back to the bedroom, checking on Basilisk, but he was dead. In his place was bloodstains and his little head. He didn't even look scared; he looked peaceful, like he didn't even see death coming.

***

I suddenly found myself on my bed. I got up and checked on Basilisk, who was sound asleep in the cage.

It was just a dream...

I was just about to lay back down when Luigi came up to me with Bowser tailing him.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"It's Mario," Bowser answered frantically.

"Yeah, he's here, in the castle," Luigi added as he summoned his pipe.

"Come on, let's go," Bowser Jr. said, already up and getting Basilisk from the cage.

We all jumped in the pipe, with me wondering where there was to go now.