Chap. 18: Mario's POV

Peach deserves not to know...

I sat back, playing with Basilisk, while also thinking about those photos. Daisy might've been the one who gave them to me, but I knew for a fact that he somehow gave them to her. I knew this because the last photo had super-red (borderline brown) writing on it that read,

I knew you would hide, but know that I will find you
-your secret mentor

The photos—four in all—were not good at all.

The first one was of the woods, but he was there; it was of that one time when I had him keep an eye on the place while I was out.

The second one was of Peach and Bowser that one night...

That third one was of me, crying in the woods with a knife in my hands and blood everywhere; I had accidentally killed a pig that had piglets with it. I remember that being one of the times I was at my worst as far as emotionally and mentally went.

The last one was of Dianthus being beaten by him. She was crying as he held up a vase and looked like he was going to throw it. I suddenly realized what these photos were meant to do: they were meant to bring out my negative emotions so he could find me easier. But why would he come for Dianthus? He wasn't able to interact with anyone but me. He even told me so, unless...

"Guys, I've gotta go," I said, knowing what had to be done. "Just stay here and do not leave. It's imperative that you all stay put."

I summoned my pipe and I went back to Peach's castle. I knew he would be there; he never had enough time to sense my emotions and track them down, even though he already checked one place. Sure enough, he was there at the door, waiting for me to come.

"So, where is the child?"

"You cannot make me tell you," I responded. I didn't care what he did, as long as Peach and her child were safe. I knew this was not a negative emotion, so I knew he couldn't get the truth out of me that way. "How did Dianthus see you? What did you do?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Uh, no, unless you..."

"Yes, you're...on the right track. You know."

"No, why would you—"

"Because I knew it was the only way I could get you to come here. And now here you are. Now where...is...the...child?"

"I won't tell you. I'd rather die!"

"So be it, then. But before I do, I want to teach you a little something."

"Huh?" I didn't see this coming, and it reminded me of what he had written on that photo: your secret mentor...

"Yes, I want to teach you something. A life lesson, you could say. Now, you used to like pain, no?"

I nodded my head a little, already not liking where this was probably going.

"And now you see that pain is supposed to mean bad, not good, understand?"

I made a weak "m-hm" sound.

"Pain is your body's way of telling you that something isn't right and that something needs to be done to stop the pain. Pain is supposed to be an indicator of something bad happening, not some strange toy. Got it?"

I nodded, trying to hold back tears.

"You've caused pain among those who didn't deserve it. Physical or mental, it still means something needs to be done. I didn't want the child to die at first, but thanks to you, I know logic, like pain isn't something to play with. I hope you are actually listening to this. It'll leave you something to ponder about just before the life leaves your eyes."

He pulled out a large knife, and before I could even react, he stuck it in my throat. As I sat there, choking on my own blood, I realized that pain was a signal to get away or do something about it. But sadly, there was nothing much I could do about my own physical pain except wait until it put me out of its chokehold.